Is smooth stir bar really quieter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BantamBrewing

Reaction score
I know, first world problems, right? But I've got the standard stir bar, with the little raised lip in the middle like this:

mwkBixhP5o_3kXrSqr_yWWw.jpg

It rattles on for 24-36 hours during the starter and sort of drives me insane while I'm near it, like a tap dancing cricket on acid. I found smooth stir bars without the raised area (and they're advertised as "WHISPERZ") - they look like this:

$_35.JPG

Are they really quieter? And I assume they do just as good a job?

Thanks.

I hope someone says yes, because the rattling drives me crazy. Though, for the last starter I did, I got it positioned just right so it was completely quiet for the whole two days.

I have no real world experience but I would think they would be a little quieter since they don't have any edges bouncing on glass. You'll probably still have a little noise since it's spinning on glass.

I have used both. I used one with the ridge in the middle to mix a lye solution for making soap. After I was done, I threw it in the trash because I hated listening to it.

I have only ever used the smooth one and I have no sound at all so I'd say if the other one makes noise then yes its quieter.

I had short smooth one and it was quiet. Too quiet. It easily got thrown. I put a rubber O-ring on it and it rattled a lot but it would not get thrown as easily. I bought another smooth one a little longer and it works well.

I did a 2 liter starter for my last batch and the stir bar was totally silent. The problem is - I can't figure out what I did differently!! :confused:

Yes sir, the smooth one is definitely quieter I promise! I have both types. I NEVER use the one with the raised lip in the middle after trying both types out first in plain water in the flask. It made such a racket when I tested it that I just always use the smooth one when I make starters!

John

I just did a comparison as well. Smooth one is basically silent. I don't think I can go back now!

Mine with the raised center is virtually silent, but it took a little tweaking of the magnets on my stir plate to get it to that point.

Mine with the raised center is virtually silent, but it took a little tweaking of the magnets on my stir plate to get it to that point.

I had been using the center-ridged one for a while. If it is at the right spot, it is very quiet. However, starting from someday, I couldn't find that spot anymore.
Then I switched to the smooth one. It is quiet, but not as quiet as the center-ridged one in sweet spot. It's quiet enough though.
I talked with my friends, and one of them told me that sometimes the magnet inside might break when dropped and caused uneven attraction, which results in continuous hitting the glass. I was happy to learn that, but if the smooth one is doing good, then I am good.

i had one with the center ridge that was too loud so I took a sharp knife and carved the ridge off. Much more quiet now.

I had been using the center-ridged one for a while. If it is at the right spot, it is very quiet. However, starting from someday, I couldn't find that spot anymore.

Then I switched to the smooth one. It is quiet, but not as quiet as the center-ridged one in sweet spot. It's quiet enough though.

I talked with my friends, and one of them told me that sometimes the magnet inside might break when dropped and caused uneven attraction, which results in continuous hitting the glass. I was happy to learn that, but if the smooth one is doing good, then I am good.

Interesting. I had a bar that one day started getting thrown for no apparent reason. I wonder if it got dropped at some point and caused the uneven spinning.

I agree that a ridged stir bar can be very quiet. Mine makes no sound - I only hear the swirling starter. It doesn't really matter though, since I make my starters in the laundry room and it can make all the sound it wants back there!

The only way I have ever gotten a quiet stir plate is to place gaskets on each end of the bar...

Latest posts

Back