Is Secondary Fermentation Still Common Practice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys, Just a poll to see how many people still rack into secondary in all their brews.
I know that secondary can be useful in some styles however, as a hop junkie I bottle right after primary so I can consume that hoppy goodness as soon as possible.
So lets hear it, do you secondary? and on what styles?
GO!
No, not at all.
I did when I first started in '99, after my long hiatus I now never have used secondary in the last 2 yrs. Maybe if I did a sour, which I haven't yet.

Question from a newb

I am still doing kits with LME and want to keg.

The two batches (Coopers kit) i have done have been 5 gal. and i have used secondary on both. If i decide not to use the secondary on my next batch and use a filter would this accomplish the same goal as the secondary?

if so how long should i Ferment in the primary before filtering and kegging?

Does the type of style you do have a factor? (extract, PM, AG)

Thanks

Last edited:
Question from a newb

I am still doing kits with LME and want to keg.

The two batches (Coopers kit) i have done have been 5 gal. and i have used secondary on both. If i decide not to use the secondary on my next batch and use a filter would this accomplish the same goal as the secondary?

Thanks

What are you filtering? Trub before it goes into the primary fermenter?

I don't use a secondary. As noted above by LBussy, there are legit reasons to use a secondary but if you're not doing any of them, then why?

You may be interested in this; it's what kicked me over the edge to cease using secondaries. I'll let my beer sit in primary for 2-4 weeks (typical: 3 1/2 weeks), then package. I keg it.

http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

and

http://brulosophy.com/2015/03/22/the-impact-of-kettle-trub-part-2-exbeeriment-results/

so then,

if i ferment in the primary for (how long) then filter then keg

how long does a extract kit have to ferment in the primary before filtering
then how long does it have to be in the keg before force carb to serve?

Thanks

Follow whatever process works for you and helps you make your best beer. BUT no one should be teaching any new brewers to rack to secondary, unless they're racking for a true secondary fermentation onto fruit, or other yeast/bacteria, etc. There is no benefit to moving to a second container. and the risk of oxidation outweighs any perceived benefit of moving to a second container.

ok thanks everyone for your input.

but still not certain if i don't need or should not rack to a secondary how long should a extract kit be in the primary.

currently i ferment for a week in primary and rack to a secondary for two weeks. if i don't rack to secondary is the 3 week total still needed? i have not gotten to the keg part yet so once the fermentation time is done and i filter how long does it have to be in the keg before force carb?

thanks

but still not certain if i don't need or should not rack to a secondary how long should a extract kit be in the primary.

currently i ferment for a week in primary and rack to a secondary for two weeks. if i don't rack to secondary is the 3 week total still needed? i have not gotten to the keg part yet so once the fermentation time is done and i filter how long does it have to be in the keg before force carb?

thanks

Opinions vary on time in the fermenter. Mostly from 2 - 4 weeks for "standard" beers - and some outside this range. I usually go with 3 weeks - that lets most of the yeast settle out and keeps yeast sediment in the bottles to a minimum. And gravity has always been stable by that time. I'd say you can go anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks and be ok. And since you keg, you don't have to worry about bottle bombs.

Since I started fermenting in my boil kettle(s), I moved to using a secondary to help clear the beer, plus the kettles don't fit in the fridge for cold crashing. My first batch after going from kettle/fermenter directly to keg was a disaster as there was way to much trub/sediment/grains that made it into the keg.

Ive done 2 batches using the fermonster as asecondary and its actually was less of a headache now.

thanks

Why, and what, are you filtering? I never filter. I'll cold crash the fermenter, use gelatin to fine the beer, and then keg it.

I force carb my beer immediately after kegging. I put it on 30 psi for 24 hours then leave it at serving pressure.

I only use a secondary when I dry hop or am adding something to the fermenter. Mostly its because I ferment in glass carboys and have a 5 gallon plastic bucket that is way easier to get things into and out of. Trying to get a hop bag full of oak chips out of the narrow neck of a glass carboy is annoying.

I'd secondary if I fermented for longer than 4 weeks probably too but rarely do that.

It's definately got it's place but for most beers i make i dont bother.

Back