Is proper number conversion all about point value?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanFranBrewer

Reaction score
In the interest of being able to work with numbers on the fly, is working off of a points value the end all?

e.g. When working with converting AG to PM, if a grain bill is 10# and I want to figure out how much DME to replace 5# of that grain with, would not the easiest and most correct way be to take the total points that 5# would produce (what I will replace) and divide that by the total points of DME?

i.e. 5# at 36pts per # = 180pts @ 70% eff. = 126pts that grain would yield
for conversion, 126/44 = 2.8# of DME

I have BeerSmith but for me it really helps to be able to sit down and write stuff out (I also think it feels more gratifying). Especially when your mash efficiency differs from what you expected it to be.

Same would go for formulating a recipe based off of style. If a certain style produces a 1.052 OG at 5 gallons, I know that when making my recipe, my grain bill should add up to roughly 260 points total after taking into account efficiency of my mash.

Am I missing something extra? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back