Is "Priming Sugar" basically just corn sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
I've got a recipe that calls for a pound of corn sugar and I have 4 5 oz. packets of L.D. Carlson Priming Sugar that came with a few kits that I didn't use because I started kegging. Can I use this in place of the corn sugar or do I need to make a quick run to the LHBS? The Midwest Supplies entry for corn sugar (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/corn-sugar.html) shows a package of Priming Sugar.

It's basically just a minimal amount of simple sugar that the residual yeast can use to carbonate your beer -- corn sugar will work fine.

Observation...or i'm off my rocker ?

I have been brewing mostly Belgium style bottle conditioned beers, i have had better results inverting regular table sugar for priming than corn sugar.

Observation...or i'm off my rocker ?

I have been brewing mostly Belgium style bottle conditioned beers, i have had better results inverting regular table sugar for priming than corn sugar.

I've been doing this for quite some time now, with great results as well. cheaper than corn sugar too.

His recipe is calling for sugar solely for fermentables. You'd be better off to add DME but if you want sugar, then yes, your priming sugar will work fine.

I've been doing this for quite some time now, with great results as well. cheaper than corn sugar too.

glad i'm not completely crazy.

I was plagued with off flavors and often sluggish bottle conditioning I've attributed to corn sugar..no real proof other than it's gone with inverted sugar I really can't explain why..?

Are you carbonating in the fridge? If so, it'll take a lot longer to carbonate than if you do it at ferm. temp and then just move it to the fridge when you're ready to drink.

I have a closet that I've turned into a warm room with a small space heater and controller 70-72F. for 2 weeks works well with 3.5 oz. of inverted sugar

here's a rather crappy pic of it

19560_1244799313816_1044367579_5720.jpg

Back