Is one and half days enough for starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burro2882

Reaction score
Quick question. I'm doing a yeast starter for the first time (have always just pitched dry) and have read that your supposed to give the yeast a few days to eat and multiply and pitch once its all settled to the bottom.

I need to do this batch saturday morning and am starting the yeast later today. Is a day and a half enough time to get a sufficient yeast count? Are there problems with "yeast shock" when pitching active yeast into a new wort?

Quick question. I'm doing a yeast starter for the first time (have always just pitched dry) and have read that your supposed to give the yeast a few days to eat and multiply and pitch once its all settled to the bottom.

I need to do this batch saturday morning and am starting the yeast later today. Is a day and a half enough time to get a sufficient yeast count? Are there problems with "yeast shock" when pitching active yeast into a new wort?

As long as the starter is active and fermenting you can pitch it with no problems. Some people pitch the whole starter at high krausen rather than waiting and decanting. Either way will work.

For my last brew, I made a 2L starter & used a stir plate. It only sat for 24 hours before I pitched the next day. I just threw the whole thing in after cooling the wort to 80 F. My IPA went from 1.075 to 1.015 & tastes great from the sample I had when bottling.

A lot of people recommend 48 hours for a starter & crash-cooling it after so the yeast will settle out, then just pitching the yeast. I haven't had any problems pitching the whole thing after 24 hours, so I'm thinking you'll be fine either way.

I always pitch my ale starters at about 18-24 hours. Nice active starter and short lag times on the beer. Anything above 2L and I would probably let it ferment out and decant however.

If I am going to brew on a Saturday, I will make my starter Wednesday afternoon.

I watch my starters, first for signs of life, then for when the yeast start to slow down. I use a stir plate and the bit of foam created from CO2 discharge is visible in the vortex created by the stir bar and along the top edge of the starter wort. Usually the foam starts to subside 24 - 28 hours after pitching and I place the starter in my kegerator to chill. This is usually Thursday night b/4 I go to bed. First thing Saturday morning I pull the starter out and decant most of the liquid leaving about 30 - 50ML in the flask along with the yeast cake and leave it out to warm to room temperature.

I have had good results with this procedure and i's now a repeatable routine for me.

Thanks for the quick responses. Im gonna just make it and pitch it. In the future I will try to plan further ahead and do the chill and decant method.

-cheers

Back