is oak barrel worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polboy

Reaction score
I have a choice of B-day present this year and im thinking of oak barrel (10-15gal), i would like to know you opinion if its worth it (price maintenance ect). I want to use it to make sour beers, not regular oaking (i do that in carboys with cubes/spirals and im happy with results). Do you think i should just try making sours in regular carboys instead (i have bunch of those and im fine with keeping 2-4 occupied for a year or so)

I am actually looking to do the same thing, age and blend with rosellare. Interested in hearing what more experienced folks have to say.

I've never done it but one thing I've heard is you have to keep topping off the barrel. The beer will evaporate out and if you don't refill it, the barrel will dry out and not be water tight.

New barrels will give off too much oak into the beer. If you want them for sours, you need to use it several times to get the oak out or buy a well used but well serviced barrel.

The barrel isn't necessary but it's something fun to play with.

I guess its not gona be an oak barrel, have to think about something else

Back