Is my Star San still usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDingleberry

Reaction score
I bottled my third batch last night, and I am planning on brewing my 4th batch tonight. I mixed up 5 gallons of star san in a big rubber made container, but forgot to cover it before going to sleep. It is still cloudy, and foams up when I stir it around. Should I use it, or should I chuck it?

I would still use it... but the correct answer is to check the pH. If it loses it's acidity then it is no longer usable.

I would still use it... but the correct answer is to check the pH. If it loses it's acidity then it is no longer usable.

Yeah, I know about the PH but I don't have any way of checking it. I probably just chuck it. I'd hate to lose a batch over an ounce of Star San.

If it tastes like Star San it's still Star San... but seriously you can get 100 pH testing strips for about a dollar.

I recently bought some PH strips from my LHBS for exactly this purpose...cheap and works. Although at only 24hrs I don't think you have anything to worry about. I have some StarSan mixed up in a spray bottle that is still fine after 6weeks (and counting).

Back