Is my Process Wrong after the Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been thinking about how I transfer the wort after it is cooled into my fermenter. I have a keggle which is boiled outside of course, extract batches only so far, I cool the wort with an immersion chiller and also put the whole keg in an ice bath to cool fast ( I have a huge stainless pot that fits the keggle into it). OK so after it is cooled I put the keg on cinder blocks, take a kitchen strainer and put it over the fermenter, and open the valve on the keggle to let the wort out of the keggle and into the fermenter.

I see a lot of people talking about whirlpooling and racking to the fermenter, but it seems my method is much quicker and I have had nothing but clear beer in the last 4 batches. Just wondering since it ain't broke don't fix it, or should I try it the "right" way?

There isn't a "right" way, there is the way that works for you. I'm a dump the whole pot in the primary gal and let time take care of "filtering".

That's just fine. Especially since it's working for you.

I have an immersion chiller and I whirlpool to the best of my ability, but I never really seem to get a nice cone where all the trub settles. A lot of it makes it into the fermenter. It's never caused a problem.

I just didn't know if the sediment would affect fermentation or the final product even if it all did settle to the bottom, I always have a good layer on the bottom of the bucket when I go to bottle.

Yes I aways make sure to sterilize the strainer before using it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a dumb way to do it and maybe affecting beer quality. I think the only thing affecting me was that I do not wait long enough to drink it!

If it works for you, great. I always let the wort sit, covered, for 30 minutes after I take out the chiller. That way most of the trub, etc. will settle out before transferring to the primary. Plus I use a hop bag in the boil, and that reduces the sludge quite a bit, too.

The thing I tell people (and a class I'm teaching) is that brewing is not an exact science and there is no "right" way. There are wrong ways but if you understand the WHY the HOW is not as important. Just get'r done.

My process seems to keep evolving as I try/learn short cuts and then reassess when the shorts cuts do not really save time.

Your process tweaked my brain a little. Perhaps I'll add an ice bath to the wort chiller operation.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Good advice.

For me, the use of a hop bag made for a lot less frustration when straining the wort into the fermenter. You did not mention it, but if you are not using one, that would be a good change to implement.

No I do not use a hop bag because I thought I would get better hop utilization by having the hops free in the boiling wort.

I will take pictures next time I brew and post them on this thread, to visualize for everyone how I chill the keggle. I bought an enormous mixer bowl from a surplus kitchen supply warehouse. I was going to boil in it but I decided to get a keggle. I am 6 foot tall and weigh 230lb and I can fit in this bowl :rockin:

But I am not averse to using a hop bag I just thought the coagulant power of the irish moss and the fine mesh of the strainer would do the work for me.

I whirlpool, let it sit 20/30 min., and also use a strainer (sterilized of course). It's probably overkill but I don't get much in to the fermenter.

I also pour through a sanitized stainless strainer into my fermenter. I do not whirlpool, just pour it over when it is cooled.

If it works for you, and it makes good beer, more power to ya.

I have kettles without spigots, and no pumps. My process is to let the wort settle after chilling with an IC, and then I siphon the wort into the fermenter(s). Different than what most folks do, but it works for me, and I have no desire to change it since it's simple. :)

Yes I aways make sure to sterilize the strainer before using it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a dumb way to do it and maybe affecting beer quality. I think the only thing affecting me was that I do not wait long enough to drink it!

If it's dumb and works, it's not dumb.

Back