Is my partial going to be BAD?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I started the sanitization of all equipment, started warming the water, and realized I had lost the directions. I kinda winged it. I made a European Bach(its a bock but Bach is my last name) It was a partial grain extract kit from Brewers Best. I brought the water almost to boil 190 F then added my grains in a bag to the water. I then remembered to only steep it in 150-160f water. I was wondering if this will bring too many tanins from the grain and ruin the taste. Everything went well except the water temp for the grains. Should I just dump it or will it be ok. I only steeped the grains for about 15 mins. It tasted ok when I checked the gravity, and it was at 1.052(temp corrected)

Do not dump that beer. Continue the process, it will be fine. The temp dropped when you added the grains, plus you caught it before much time passed. Just something to keep in mind for next time.

From what I have read here, you should be fine unless the water PH was way out of line while steeping. It takes more than high temps for a lot of tannins to be released. Of course, a lower temp woul have been better.

I hope it will turn out ok, I also added some irish moss, and sweet orange peel to the wort at 15 mins left in the boil. I wanted to see exactly what the orange peel added if anything, I only added 1/2 oz. This is the first time I have added anything like this.

The only reasons I'd dump a batch:

1. Mold growing on/in it.
2. tastes and smells like a vinegar, or a dead cat, or raw sewage...
3. Something crawled into it and died.

I think I enumerated those in another thread, but I think it deserves repetition.

Don't throw beer away unless you are positive that it's crap.

Cheers!

My worst mistake was to put 2 pounds of Chocolate malt into a 5 gallon batch. I hate that burnt taste. I though I might have to experiment in distillation to reclaim anything. But 2 more weeks in the bottle mellowed it to drinkable. I'd say your OG would point to successful mashing. Go for it.

Philosophicaly, I think the pro breweries have a major concern of consistancy- one bottle of Bud is expected to taste like any other bottle of Bud. We don't have that worry- didn't you start out to make something different? It will be, not only different from Bud, but also different from what you planned. I fyou don't like it, send it to me....

"relax, have a home brew", CP

Thanks for the info and tips guys. Yeah if it has alcohal in it and tastes like beer what the hell, drink it. If it is bad I can use it as a lawn fertilizer. It keeps the grass green as can be.

Well, "bock" means "support", and "goat" is "ziege". But your idea might not be so bad, since it would result in "Support stream". And sometimes, a beer lives up to that name beautifully! :)

Steve973 said:
Well, "bock" means "support", and "goat" is "ziege". But your idea might not be so bad, since it would result in "Support stream". And sometimes, a beer lives up to that name beautifully! :)
According to my memory and the assistance from my German-English dictionary collection I submit the following translations:

Bach: brook, creek, stream

Bock: buck, he-goat, billy-goat, ram

Support: stütze, hilfe, träger (Es tut mir leid aber wir haben keine bock hier)

Ziege: she-goat

I will admit that I don't know all the words. I'll give you the benefit of doubt that maybe you know something I don't :D, but I'll stick to the definitions and translations I know.

FWIW, I was stationed in Germany from 1975-1979. About 1.5 of those years I lived with a German family. My German word count (in 1979) was an estimated 7000 plus word vocabulary. I've only had one formal class (German III - my grade: B). I tested out for 6 credits (also B's - I'm not an overachiever). I also tested out on the Army's 6-month German course passing with distinction and never took the course. By the summer of '79 I earned 9 credits in German.

I was stationed in Germany again from 1999-2004. I am a civilian so I did not live on post.

Fortunately, most of the words came back to me with every beer I drank - like a magic elixir.:D

Unfortunately, many of those words have gone down the urinal (so to speak) with age. This last tour I think I learned about new 50 words.

Well, you probably know more about german than I do, since I was only six years old when you left germany in 1979. So, I'll defer to you.

Steve973 said:
Well, you probably know more about german than I do, since I was only six years old when you left germany in 1979. So, I'll defer to you.
Well, thank you, but I didn't reply the way I did to be adversarial. I know I come across the wrong way sometimes, but believe me I was only trying to help. There's nothing worse (OK, there really are something's worse) than embarrassing yourself over a word...just think about some of Yogi Berra's quotes...:D

No harm done. :) I wasn't offended and I hope you weren't offended, and at least this was all in the good spirit of beer making. And if you want to talk about horrible use of words, our fearless leader's use of "strategery" is a perfect example!

I made the same mistake as John, except the water temp started at 180 and never got below 170, and the time was more like 50 mins. Made same mistake on yeast pitch in primary. I don't know exact temp, but believe it was over 100. Got good bubbling that continued through four days, slowing noticeably near the end, but the cause for concern was that it never got as vigorous as we are used to. We have racked it into secondary and wouldn't think of throwing it out, but does anyone know what effect the high temps will have?

:eek: I think I will go with bockBach bier, (goatstream beer), has a great ring to it. I am going to have to do a amber Bach soon to really get the name going in the right direction. I hope to learn some more german so as to properly name my beer. I will have to come up with a label and post it for the bockbach bier.

boch is goat in germany... the boch beers were named so as they were traditionally brewed during the winter months, under the sign of capricorn, and lagered till summer time when they were enjoyed.

i like the beer history almost as much as i like drinking/brewing it :D

t1master said:
boch is goat in germany... the boch beers were named so as they were traditionally brewed during the winter months, under the sign of capricorn, and lagered till summer time when they were enjoyed.
Ok, suddenly I feel like I need a boch...what are some good ones to try (other than Shiner, which I can have any time).

t1master said:
boch is goat in germany... the boch beers were named so as they were traditionally brewed during the winter months, under the sign of capricorn, and lagered till summer time when they were enjoyed. i like the beer history almost as much as i like drinking/brewing it :D
As far as I know there is no German word "boch". It's "bock".

(It's akin to Americans trying to speak German and say "machts nichts" (I've heard some Ami's (German slang word for "Americans") say "mox nix" also). There is no "machts" word in German. It's "macht nichts", as in "es macht nichts" or "it doesn't matter". Strange that "das ist egal" means "it doesn't matter" also.)

The rest of your astrology/history is correct as far as I remember it.:D

Latest posts

Back