Is my first recipe with grain o.k.??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYbrewer

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch with grains last night.

5 lbs. pale malt
1 lbs. maris otter
1/2 lbs. carapils
1.4 lbs wheat LME
1 lbs. DME
1 cup brown sugar
1 oz. centennial hops
11.5 g Safale US-05 yeast

I let the grains mash at 152 degrees..boiled wort and hops for 1 hour, adding the extracts at the last 15 minutes of boil. I was able to boil the full wort, ended up with about 5.5 gallons. 1050 OG. I was able to cool down to 75 degrees in cold water bath in 15 minutes. I had vigorous fermentation in 2 hours. It is going crazy today, but no blow-off necessary.

I guess I am asking for feedback on what to expect from this recipe as far as alchohol content, and quality. I have the basics down, but I have not grasped other things, like figuring strength, and what styles are what, and what ingredients are used to get there. Thanks

This recipe looks fine to me as far as drinkability. There are plenty of websites out there you can use to determine gravity/ABV readings. I like to use Calculators and Tables This guy also has a recipe formulator that works out really well. As far as beer styles go, if you are trying to stay within formal guidelines you need to go to Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) this is the official judging guidelines used in competitions. It will outline specific grains and hops used in each style. Hope that helped.

Thanks for the links. Looks like I am shooting for a FG of 1013, and ABV. of 5.2%. Just hope it turns out good.

Back