Is my cider safe to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolanbehr

Reaction score
I just finished my first batch of hard apple cider, and it turned out a lot better than I expected. Yesterday, I poured my cider out of the Carboy and into 2 old vodka handles and put them in the fridge. I cleaned the handles with dish soap but for whatever reason I forgot I needed to sanitize them with star san and I’m regretting that now today. The handles have been sitting in the fridge now for almost a day. Are they safe to drink?

I just finished my first batch of hard apple cider, and it turned out a lot better than I expected. Yesterday, I poured my cider out of the Carboy and into 2 old vodka handles and put them in the fridge. I cleaned the handles with dish soap but for whatever reason I forgot I needed to sanitize them with star san and I’m regretting that now today. The handles have been sitting in the fridge now for almost a day. Are they safe to drink?

If you don't see anything growing you should be good to go.

Next time I would use an auto siphon to transfer your cider to its final destination, don't want to introduce too much oxygen.

Yes, they're safe to drink.
Most importantly, did you rinse the 2 "handles" out after the dish soap cleaning? You won't want any soap residue in your cider.

BTW, if they were clean handles, having only contained vodka, whiskey, rum, etc. before, you don't have to clean or sanitize them. :D

Latest posts

Back