Is my bottled beer ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonybrau

Reaction score
So its been 7 days since i bottled my cream ale and i just pulled a bottled to check it, theres little tiny clumps of white stuff floating at the top and lots of specks floating around...when i first bottled it the beer was extremely clear. I cracked one open and it didnt gush but smelled pretty yeasty after i poured it, still has pretty low carbonation, do you think it will be ok?

7 days is not long enough to wait after bottling. You need to give it at least three weeks for the yeast to eat the priming sugars and then settle back out again.

Agreed, 7 days is not long enough. If the "white stuff" is bubbly like krausen, your in good shape. If it is flakey/waxy like the coating on a piece of fruit like an apple or grape, it can be assumed it is actual yeast in the air taken over. Let it be, and if it tastes good, it probably is.

You bottle is going through a mini fermentation. You're seeing a little krausen going on. Eventually...just like your fermenter...it will fall to the bottom of the bottle.

As for insufficient carbonation, sing it with me now:

21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees

No less..no cooler.

:D

So i checked my beer again today and most of the bottles have cleared a bit but there is still a couple tiny bits floating (hop pellet bits i hope) and most of them have alot of something clinging to the sides of the bottles just a thin coating, i have yet to pop one open for a smell but is this an infection? (please god no..)

*edit* so i popped one, it didnt gush and the smell didnt make me gag, smelled like beer, it has a ton of floaties and tasted like beer, but like i said the bottle walls where coated with something, it rinsed off with a swirl of hot water..so am i just freeking out or do i have a legit reason?

If it smells like, beer and tastes like beer, it likely will be beer! Maybe not the best you will ever make, but a good story regardless!

Share your process from brewing to bottling with us, perhaps someone can help you make some adjustments that will reduce sediment, if that what it is.

You're fine...you are paying too much attention to your bottles...when you prime them they go through another mini fermetnation...sometimes they even form a krauzen at the top of it, like like in your fermenter, then it falls an becomes the sediment in the bottom (especially if you prime with dme, you often see this)

Everything is fine...

Read this...and relax!!!! You have noobitus, that is all...your beer is fine. :D

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Of_Patience_and_Bottle_Conditioning/

Ok. I'm new. I only bottled my 1st batch last weekend. But, when I was checking around here to see about using the carbonation tablets that I had bought, I read that you can end up with white floaties with them. Did you use the carb tablets? I still used mine. Hopefully it won't gross people out as much I know as it would gross me out if I were drinking homebrew at someone else's house and didn't know about the process.

And for your visual enjoyment, a picture! please take note that the stuff is not floating, its stuck on the sides of the bottle....and all the bottles look like that...i know im just freaking out..this is my 3rd brew, same yeast (nottingham) and ive never seen this happen, and yes i know thats a corona bottle :p i bottle 2 or 3 in clear glass just so i can spy on it better :cross:

badbeermaybe007.jpg

I think bottling in clear bottles is your problem. Bottle in brown bottles so you can leave it alone for 3 weeks! If something is messed up, there is nothing you can do at this point. You will, however, not know if your beer is ok or not until those 3 weeks are up and you can taste it.

Stuck one in the fridge yesterday morning, poured 5 mins ago and its clear as a bell, has a sort of sandpapery feel on the tongue...flavor is not bad though, is infected beer ok to drink? :cross:

haha, i thought about scaling the picture down but that would compromise the detail :)

Stuck one in the fridge yesterday morning, poured 5 mins ago and its clear as a bell, has a sort of sandpapery feel on the tongue...flavor is not bad though, is infected beer ok to drink? :cross:

Tony, Tony....

Stop! Wait! Do not drink yet!

It's been, what, 10 days since you bottled?

That's too soon. You are ruining your beer by drinking it before it is ready.

I know it can be hard to wait, but you have no other choice. If you drink your beer now, it will be nasty. If you forget about it for at least two weeks, ideally a month, it will most likely be delicious.

So find yourself some other way to keep occupied (I recommend kicking off another brew), stop fiddling around with your beer, and stop worrying about it.

If you have to ask whether your beer is infected, there's a simple answer: it isn't. Infections are obvious. Ever tasted vinegar? Ever looked at raw sewage? If your infection is less obvious than that, you shouldn't worry. Give it time.

You already said it tastes good... relax. The guy in the other thread enjoyed his whole batch, according to the post.

Give it time, review good practice, brew another batch.

Don't worry, about a thing. Every little thing, is gonna be allright!

So as per this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/my-beer-infected-96355/ im 99% sure ive got wild yeast too and my beer is ruined..im so disappointed :(

Did you NOT notice the LAST post in his thread...HIS BEER WAS FINE!!!

Well all this batch is gone, and it was damn good stuff.

Guess his beer wasn't infected after all, eh????

We see this every day...there is nothing wrong with the beer...only the brewer. You have Noobitus, that is all, it's a mental illness having to do with chronic worrying and forgetting that the yeast know what they are doing.:D...99.95% of the is my beer infected threads are started by nervous noobs like you and 99.95% of them turn out to be fine...we see this everyday...it is really really hard to ruin your beer!!!

Read some of these threads and SEE what we mean when we say your beer is hardier than you think it is...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-anyone-ever-messed-up-batch-96644/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Quit staring at the beer!!!

Stepaway_copy.jpg

:D

And for your visual enjoyment, a picture! please take note that the stuff is not floating, its stuck on the sides of the bottle....and all the bottles look like that...i know im just freaking out..this is my 3rd brew, same yeast (nottingham) and ive never seen this happen, and yes i know thats a corona bottle :p i bottle 2 or 3 in clear glass just so i can spy on it better :cross:

I've seen that before. It's not settled out yet. If it tastes good drink it anyway. It's just vitamin B and very important with alcohol consumption.

Searched as best I could and this looked like the best place to post this, so here you go:

This is what's hanging out at the top of my beer in all my bottles:

wf1.jpg

After a little jiggle of the bottle here's what happens:

wf4.jpg

And after a few minuets it looks like this at the top of my beer:

wf3.jpg

What do you think? Yeasties on vacation?

Oh, and by the way, It took me forever to get these pictures to come out where you could actually see something in there! Held the bottle up to a celling fan light at just the right angle, and took about 20 pictures. (just incase you wanted to try this at home) :cool:

I'd say yeasties having a party...carbonation in the bottle is just another mini fermentation, in a little 12 ounce glass carboy...yeasties rise and fall like anywhere else and eventually settle to the bottom...and chilling them when they are done will help it flocculate down and comress on the bottom.

You have noobitus

classic, love it Revvy, he has a very bad case of it. Don't worry!! Wait until 2 months after bottling and it will all be well, as it will mature into a fine ale I am sure.

Did you store this bottle on its side? Could be a layer of yeast settling out and just so happens it did so because it was on its side. My buddy gave me one of his homebrews that was laying down instead of sitting up straight. The yeast had formed a mini-yeast cake all along the side of the jar.

Did you store this bottle on its side? Could be a layer of yeast settling out and just so happens it did so because it was on its side. My buddy gave me one of his homebrews that was laying down instead of sitting up straight. The yeast had formed a mini-yeast cake all along the side of the jar.

These bottles have been sitting upright in a dark closet the whole time..I'm sure all is good...I just wanted to post some pictures to get Revvy's opinion...:D He's like an Army Drill Sergeant on this Site .."Every where you go...there's a Drill Sergeant there"...:cross: (Old Army marching cadence for all those Vets out there) I don't think he ever misses a post! Thanks Rev :mug:

Latest posts

Back