Is my beer ok or able to be saved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstraug

Reaction score
Hi all-

First post to the forum and looking forward to getting to know you all.

So, I have a Belgium Witbier that fermented for 7 days before I put it in a soda keg. After 4 days in the keg, I tried it and the smell made me want to slap my momma. So, I wanted for a few more days with the hope that it would get better and it did improve a little, but only a very little. The taste was not awful, but was a little carbonated. I know that witbiers produce some pretty rank smells, but am wondering if I should take it out of the kegerator for a couple of weeks or am I better keeping it in the keg for another few weeks. Thanks for any advice!

Matt

Don't touch it until it is a month old at least. In a perfect world it would still be on the yeast cake which would help resolve some of those green flavors but it's too late for that so just let it sit and give it time. This is assuming that your cleaning and sanitation is all sound and we are not talking about an infection of some kind. More than likely you will be fine.

7 days is way too young for almost any beer. Let the yeast do their job and don't rush things. I month is more appropriate vs. one week.

MalFet- I don't have the numbers unfortunately, but will get them for future batches.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let it sit for a while and let you all know how it goes.

Wit beer should be drank young

That said, your beer is still VERY young. I've noticed that when I make a wit it's drinkable at about 2-3 weeks, but still improves a bit more for another 2 weeks or so. I usually let it sit in the primary for 1-2 weeks depending on my schedule and then let it carb for about 2 weeks. It changes quite a lot as it carbs up.

Back