Is my beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwart

Reaction score
I've made several beers and this is the first one that looked like the pictures above. I'm hoping im just over reacting. If the pictures don't do it justice it looks like a thin layer of icing on top of the beer. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone offers.

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

If it tastes good, bottle it. If you wont drink it then why go through the trouble?

Until my last breath, I will never tell someone to just dump a beer.

Invest in a carboy or keg, transfer the beer into it, and set it aside. In a year, or two, or three or even just a couple of months, it could be the best thing you ever brewed. Sounds strange to some. But you've already plunked down the money on brewing it, might as well see if time heals those wounds.

And I would also advise to throw away that bucket, and anything else plastic that touched that beer so future batches don't have the chance of meeting the same fate.

Another vote for sticking it in a carboy or keg and letting it sit. Especially if you enjoy sours. You may still have to dump it, but it may turn out as an awesome sour.

If you want to bottle or keg it now, then keep it cold and drink it fast (if you're going to bottle condition, put the entire batch in the fridge as soon as it's carbonated). If you store it warm whatever bugs/baddies you've got in there may keep chewing through dextrins, and if bottled may lead to bottle bombs.

KeystoneHomebrew said:
Until my last breath, I will never tell someone to just dump a beer.

Never?! I have one that's been sitting for about a year now. I don't think it'll ever get better. I'd imagine that some don't.

Never?! I have one that's been sitting for about a year now. I don't think it'll ever get better. I'd imagine that some don't.

Some don't. I can quote a few examples from my own brew kettle.

But the beer is already made and basically written off. Whats the harm in forgetting about it and hoping? One of my best sours wasn't meant to be that way, but 2 years did the trick. The only sucky part, is never being able to re-create it.

Aaron

Yeah mines just been waiting in the basement, so we'll see although I don't have a lot of hope for this one.

i already started the bottling process so i think ill bottle half and keep the other half in bucket. thanks for all the advice. Its given me some hope

i already started the bottling process so i think ill bottle half and keep the other half in bucket. thanks for all the advice. Its given me some hope

what was the gravity of the beer when you bottled the beer? you can't always bottle a sour at the same gravity as a clean beer since the gravity may continue to drop. not to mention you are adding more fermentables to the bottles.

I would still be mindful and attempt to keep it cold once carbonated and drink it quickly. Depending on the critters involved, they can pull the gravity down below 1.000. Between that, and any additional priming sugar, and you still may have a potential problem. I gave a Tripel 6 months after I added Brett to it before I bottled, and it still became way overcarbonated in the bottles from the Brett continuing to feast. I'm surprised they didn't burst (although given that it's been in bottles for about 2 years now, if they were going to I think they would have).

Latest posts

Back