Is my beer infected? White spider web coating..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wazzer83

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if my home brew is infected? I've read a few things online but haven't quite got an answer! Cheers ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392017673.255556.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks like an infection to me. I can't find it now, but there was a really good thread with pics of infected beer. Infection like yours was quite common in this thread.

Is it OK to drink? Should I bottle and store it cold or dump it? Thanks again

Then pull a sample and taste it. If it stinks, like its bad, toss it. If not, taste it. If it taste fine, bottle and drink. If it's a brett infection, it takes a while for the beer to sour. But you'll want want to drink em fast.

People intentionally infect their beers with brett when doing a sour beer, but those beers need to age for a year to really develop the flavor from the brett.

It smells spot on, will bottle and drink up! Thanks mate

It smells spot on, will bottle and drink up! Thanks mate

Yup, good luck. I think it'll be fine.

But you should re-evaluate your sanitary practices. Use starsan and keep a spray bottle near by to spray everything.

Should I filter out the stringy bits on top when I bottle?

Then pull a sample and taste it. If it stinks, like its bad, toss it. If not, taste it. If it taste fine, bottle and drink. If it's a brett infection, it takes a while for the beer to sour. But you'll want want to drink em fast.

People intentionally infect their beers with brett when doing a sour beer, but those beers need to age for a year to really develop the flavor from the brett.

This is just wrong. Brett doesn't make sour beers.

Sour beers get their sour flavors from lacto and pedio.

Brett will just add "funk" to your beer, and that takes a few months, if you bottle and drink quickly you should be okay.

I'll have to have re-evaluate, I think it was a bit too hot, heat and humidity here has been pretty crazy!

Should I filter out the stringy bits on top when bottling?

I'll have to have re-evaluate, I think it was a bit too hot, heat and humidity here has been pretty crazy!

Infection doesn't come from heat or humidity, it comes from bacteria or other bugs. Did ANYTHING not sanitized touch the beer? Did you leave the fermenter open for a while?

Consider this as well, you're about to touch infected beer with thing such as a racking cane and probably a bottling bucket/wand/spigot setup. Take caution to properly clean those so future batches aren't infected.

Bottling this beer is not a good idea. The wild yeast &/or bacteria that is in your beer is likely to further attenuate after bottling which may result in exploding bottles.

It's def lacto or bret. Rack from under it. This happened to my last batch of Maori IPA. After racking out from under it & bottling,it turned out pretty good.
I think the big hop load might've had something to do with it being ok. I ddn't take out the spigot to clean & sanitize seperately that time,though. Now I always make it a point to listen to my own proceedures & make su4re the spigots & lids are clean & sanitized. You must've had something that wasn't cleaned &/or sanitized?

Back