Is My beer Done Fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgcoving

Reaction score
Hello again from Amateurville (right down the road from New Guy City)...

My nut brown ale has been in the primary for a week and has slowed to one bubble every two-four minutes. I took a gravity reading, OG was 1.058, today's was 1.019, target gravity is 1.008-1.013...should I give the primary a good shake and let it sit for a few more days, or go ahead and run it into my secondary?

TIA...

Brother Ben

RDWHAHB.

Leave that beer in the primary on the yeast cake for about 2 weeks. It will not be done until you see the same S.G. reading 3 days in a row. Also, you will be very pleased if you give it a few days after it hits F.G. for the yeastie beasties to "clean up" after themselves.

Just my $0.02.

swirl...maybe. shake....NO. you never shake it after the initial yeast pitching.

swirl = gently stirring action

once the yeast is going, treat the fermenting beer like a baby.

swirl...maybe. shake....NO. you never shake it after the initial yeast pitching.

Wait.... you said don't shake it though. :cross:

Okay, was just wondering if maybe a gentle swirl (my actual intent, I suppose I should have avoided the word 'shake') would recirculate any live yeasties in the cake, but I'll go ahead and leave it sit, for sure...Might give it a swirl in a day or so. As for testing it three days in a row, since I am using a plastic fermenter with no spigot I try to resist prying the top off as much as possible. I may be new, but I'm very hygenic...I cringe everytime I take the lid off. Better to leave it, I think, until I see NO activity and take a reading then.

Fr. Ben

Okay, was just wondering if maybe a gentle swirl (my actual intent, I suppose I should have avoided the word 'shake') would recirculate any live yeasties in the cake, but I'll go ahead and leave it sit, for sure...Might give it a swirl in a day or so. As for testing it three days in a row, since I am using a plastic fermenter with no spigot I try to resist prying the top off as much as possible. I may be new, but I'm very hygenic...I cringe everytime I take the lid off. Better to leave it, I think, until I see NO activity and take a reading then.

Fr. Ben

That's what I do- wait about two weeks and I'm pretty sure it's done. Then, before racking, I check the SG to make sure that it really is where it's expected. After it reaches FG, it's ok to rack into the secondary (which really should be called a clearing tank, since there really isn't a secondary fermentation happening in there).

I my 36 years of brewing I have never had a brew that was not finished in 14 days. I just let every brew primary for 14 days regardless of lager or ale and then keg it.

I my 36 years of brewing I have never had a brew that was not finished in 14 days. I just let every brew primary for 14 days regardless of lager or ale and then keg it.

don't do many high gravity brews?

Latest posts

Back