Is Maris Otter from Austin Homebrew good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsware

Reaction score
Their malt is about 70 cents cheaper per pound than other sites. It doesn't seem to have a brand name associated with it. Has anybody used this and can compare to other brands? I'm planning to make at barleywine/bitter partigyle and am using 28 pounds of malt, so this would be a difference of almost $20.

I can buy it from my LHBS for $1.49 per lb. I bought 55 lbs of MO on a trip to Canada and paid about $50 after exchange. What makes it expensive is that we are conditioned to overpay for its magical properties. I didn't notice brands on any other grains on their site.

How much does it cost exactly per pound? Some LHBS have high sales margins and some can sell cheaper, especially those who sell large amounts. Here in Finland companies and markets are small and the local prices for (especially overseas) malts tend to be very high compared to some larger overseas companies. At the moment I can order small quantities of the same Maris otter from GB 1 euro/kg cheaper than from Finland. Of course there will be a bit higher transport costs but those are only about 10e more and because of higher turnover the malt from overseas will probably be fresher.

Back