is it to big

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkerton

Reaction score
hello i am on my second batch of beer its in primary. i think i got a little out of hand with rice extract. i made a partial mash for a Honey brown ale. and i wanted it to be a bigger beer....so i put a pound of rice extract now my O.G is at 1.09. everything i have read says it will be dry now. is this true, is there a way i can put sweetness back into it. i put 2cups of honey at beginning of boil too
:drunk:

you say your O.G. is 1.090? if that is the case, you will have to worry about your yeast not finishing the job and getting a beer that is too sweet, or not using enough yeast and getting a beer with off flavor's due to stressed yeast.
or are you saying that your beer had a FINAL gravity of 1.009? in which i would say don't worry about it, it will taste good i'm sure.

American ale II is a moderately high attenuating yeast. However, with OG of 1.09, i think you will be OK. northernbrwer has the attenuation at 72-76%, so you should finish around 1.02, which will leave it with residual sweetness. Though with the 100% fermentables you may be a little lower, i think you will be just fine.

Obligatory - That's what she said.

But yeah, did you use a starter? And 3 extra pounds of fermentables will definitely make this an interesting one.

thank you, i don't feel so bad now. yes and "she" did try to tell me not get to crazy. i think i am going to try that Hopped Blood Orange Hefeweizen next that looks cool

Back