Is it OK to store and reuse Starsan solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelikesit2000

Reaction score
I am wondering if I can store and reuse my starsan solution. I would think it would be ok to sanitaze my equipment,dump whats left into a keg, purge and seal it, and store it till next time I need it.

If this is ok, how many times can I reuse the same solution?

"A penny saved...."

You need to get some PH test strips that go down to 3. As long as it's about 3PH or less it's good. Also use water from one of those 25 cent a gallon dispensers at the grocery and it will stay clear. If you use tap water it may go cloudy.
I have about 3 gal in a 5 gal bucket and top it up 1 gal at a time. You can keep using it. Just make sure to check PH every so often.

I keep a spray bottle full of the stuff and use it every time I brew. I go through about 1 spray bottle per batch/every other batch depending on how many times I need to sanitize for samples.

I always have a spray bottle full. And I usually store 5 gallons or so in a sealed cooler for a week or two when I have two batches going close together.

If you use distilled water it will last nearly forever. I keep 3 gallons on hand at all times, and change it 2- 3 times a year just because it's so cheap to do.

I check mine before dumping and it's always been within specs.

I didn't brew between April and November this year and I have the same Homer bucket with about 3 gallons of distilled water StarSan in there from I mixed up in February. PH strip showed about 3, I added a ML or two (I use a syringe to measure my StarSan, 6ML/Gal) to bring it down to 2 and have been using it for the last few brews and bottles. Plenty of foam and no cloudiness.

I figure this 8oz StarSan bottle should last me the rest of my life. :D

I didn't brew between April and November this year and I have the same Homer bucket with about 3 gallons of distilled water StarSan in there from I mixed up in February. PH strip showed about 3, I added a ML or two (I use a syringe to measure my StarSan, 6ML/Gal) to bring it down to 2 and have been using it for the last few brews and bottles. Plenty of foam and no cloudiness.

I figure this 8oz StarSan bottle should last me the rest of my life. :D

NICE! where did you get your strips? I toss mine if it looks cloudy if I go beyond my normal 2 weeks. Had a small cooler with a bout 2 gallons I forgot about, still foamed, but a bit cloudy. had hard plastic parts in it...

I got mine at the LHBS. They are made by Precision Laboratories. It's just a little plastic vial about 1/2" x 2" with 100 test strips. They are only about 1/4" wide. I'm sure you can get them at McMaster or Grainger as well. I think they were only like $7.

Is it okay if i sanitize my equipement and reuse the solution used to sanitize the equipement? (I make a gallon per batch and often dip my vinyl tubes in the full gallon to maie it is sanitize all the way inside)

Is it okay if i sanitize my equipement and reuse the solution used to sanitize the equipement? (I make a gallon per batch and often dip my vinyl tubes in the full gallon to maie it is sanitize all the way inside)

Yes - as long as it stays within the pH range that others have mentioned.

Personally, I just make up a 5 gallon bucket with tap water and reuse it for 1-2 months (depending on how much I am brewing) before dumping and replacing. I don't bother to check the pH - but at that point, it is still foaming. If you use distilled water as others have mentioned, I"m sure it would stay good much longer.

Back