Is it ok to leave tubing attached

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
Taking the tubing off my auto siphon and off my bottling wand is a real pain in the arse is it ok to leave it attached and just clean and sanitize as one piece?

As long as you're able to clean and sanitize properly, there shouldn't be a problem with leaving it attached.

You can store it that way, but you have to disconnect it in order to clean and sanitize properly. The little corner where the tube connects to the wand is a great place for microbes to hide. If gunk builds up a layer just a thousandth of an inch thick the Your sanitizer may not be able to get to any nasties hiding in there. Running the tubing under hot water for a minute will make it easier to remove from the cane.

Good advice. I've always left mine attached but I'll disconnect everything from now on.

Sounds like a pain to keep removing the tubing. I never remove mine unles I'm replacing it, and that doesn't happen very often.

After every use I run sanitizer through it, and store it wet (with sanitizer in the tube - but not necessarily completely full, so sanitizer may not always be at the joints). Before every use I also run sanitizer through the tubing.

I've not had any issues in several years and over 100 batches. Most of my batches get secondaried, giving them more exposure to any potential problem than many.

I use hot water and push the connection together to break the seal before pulling it apart which seems to help a lot since the tubing wants to contract if pull first.

You can't be serious. You're taking the time to secondary, but you can't be bothered to take 5-10 seconds to clean your equipment properly?

My tubing is on so tight that I expect I would have to cut it off. That is the way I have to take it off whenever I replace it. It would take more than a few seconds to separate the parts.

My equipment is throughly cleaned. Unless you actually pull a cleaner through your tubing, I suspect mine is cleaner than yours since it usually sits with sanitizer in it when not in use.

Back