Is it ok to brew beer if I don't have a beard ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
misskortney said:
My chances of ever growing a beard are slim. Should I draw on a moustache instead?

Post a pic of you brewing with the drawn on stache and it totally counts!

This counts.

cruiser_01.jpg

I always have 3 days growth when I brew, does that count? And my son has had a beard the last few years on and off. When I started brewing he was 2.

First thing I did when I got out of the Navy was start my beard and put my earring back in.

Had a beard even in the Navy (thank you, Zummie). It's getting more grey than anything, but I haven't shaved it since Nuc school in 1974. Started a new one immediately, per regs. No jewelery of any kind.

By the way, my wife brews with me. She has no beard and boxes full of earrings.

Funniest thread in sometime. Here's another

I feel my efficiency will suffer if I don't have a blue mash tun.

I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be orange.

tun has to be orange. going to take a break from brewing while i clean all my brewing stuff, open up a section of my garage for my bar area, and build a bar. thought it might be safe to shave my beard, since it is summer in texas and i'm not brewing right now. wouldn't think of brewing without my beard... might piss off the brewing gods

brewed one batch without a beer, it was ok, but not great
grew a beard, and 6-8 months later I started brewing killer beers.

also, my brewing got much better when I got an orange mash tun.

I grew a beard shortly before I started homebrewing with no intention of homebrewing at that point. Perhaps beards also have mystical properties that drive the grower to homebrew. :D

number one. great facial hair.... no wait... EPIC facial hair equals EPIC beers.
number two. a massive beard or goatee shows years of experience both in brewing and building cars, bikes and or working in the oil field. thankfully i have a legendary goatee! the brew gods love it and so do the ladies... or maybe the alcohol has some effect to them loving my ugly mug lol. brew on!

I tried brewing at a young age with scraggly beard - beer got you drunk and nothing more. Accidently stumbled on a correlation that the longer my beard grew the better my brew became.
That said I am now growing my beard in hopes of a GREAT CHRISTMAS BEER. By Christmas brew should be done and time for trim or enter ZZ Top look alike :)

ShepFL.jpg

I grew a beard shortly before I started homebrewing with no intention of homebrewing at that point. Perhaps beards also have mystical properties that drive the grower to homebrew. :D

I was going to post the same thing. Decided to grow a beard as the former SWMBO thought it would fit in at SCA events better. A few months later I woke up and said "Hey ive never dont this before, but lets make beer!"..... Strange the way the Beer gods work, its like I was suddenly worthy of their attention.:tank:

Even better is I found a new SWMBO that has a thing for round hairy guys:rockin:

I stopped shaving the day I retired from the Service in 95 and have not had a clean chin(s) since. Beards are great for brewing but they also allow you to strain your soup and save snacks for later.
I also discovered early in my civilian work life that beards/long hair and welding do not mix very well.

I tried brewing at a young age with scraggly beard - beer got you drunk and nothing more. Accidently stumbled on a correlation that the longer my beard grew the better my brew became.
That said I am now growing my beard in hopes of a GREAT CHRISTMAS BEER. By Christmas brew should be done and time for trim or enter ZZ Top look alike :)

does your efficiency increase with beard length?

bengerman said:
does your efficiency increase with beard length?
Although not proven by scientists YET, yes it does. The more epic the beard the happier the brew gods are. Thus. Better efficiency.

green_bierz said:
Although not proven by scientists YET, yes it does. The more epic the beard the happier the brew gods are. Thus. Better efficiency.
This makes me want to drink ZZ Top beer... Or at least brew with them... :-D

edroberts said:
This makes me want to drink ZZ Top beer... Or at least brew with them... :-D

They would be the first people ever to win the Nobel prize for brewing beer. The results would be told in tales along side Paul bunyon and babe the blue ox for centuries. It would be THAT good. Just because of the beard.

I'm not sure the world is ready for beer that good but I'd be willing to try it.

So, if there is a God [and I, for one, believe there is], and He [or She] drank beer, would that beer even be too good for God???

glenn514:mug:

I'm brewing a trappist clone tomorrow. If I take a vow of silence while I make it, will it turn out better?

paulster2626 said:
I'm brewing a trappist clone tomorrow. If I take a vow of silence while I make it, will it turn out better?

According to brew like a monk almost none of them take a vow of silence. But a robe might help.

If you want to go old school then go ahead with a rope. Keep in mind trappist ales are a modern creation though. As far commando style, depends on whether or not you use propane and the length of you nether beard.

I though the general rule was that you must at least maintain facial hair for 6+ months of the year? Or is that only in hot climates? Also did the rule get put into effect that allows women to substitute facial hair with beer head or krausen while brewing? I’ve been out of the loop.

... Also did the rule get put into effect that allows women to substitute facial hair with beer head or krausen while brewing? I’ve been out of the loop.

Man, you HAVE been out of the loop. It's the 21st century now! Women are empowered to grow their own facial hair rather than hiding behind the krausen of yesteryear.

+1 on the straight shaving - been doing it for a few years! :rockin: Love Tabac too... there's something about animal fat rubbed on your face... :D

I have toyed with the idea of growing a full beard, but after about 4 months (at that lumberjack looking stage) I generally shave down to a goatee or remove the beard entirely, leaving just my handlebar moustache.

Latest posts

Back