Is it Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottenapple

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first batch of Red Ale and on Sunday racked to my secondary. I've started to notice white circles on top of my brew. When I try to take a closer look it looks like tiny tiny bubbles forming in little circles. The way the white circles are ,and there is about 7 of them , have the characteristics of mold. Meaning and old cup of coffee, mold would appear random but suspicious. Can any of you shed some of your wisdom down upon me.

P.s. I just racked on Sun, so I got another week to 10 days left to go, then bottling.
Thanks.:( :( :confused:

I doubt it is mold if it is bubbles. It is probably just little pockets of CO2 being released. RDWHAHB. Even if it does end up being mold, you can rack everything accept the top layer when transferring to bottling bucket.

I doubt it's mold, rather it's probably just the release of CO2 from both residual fermentation, as well as the move to secondary releasing some gas from suspension. My Scotch Ale did the same and it took a close inspection with bright flashlight to see that it was clusters of bubbles, and not mold. I believe mold looks more like a slimy skin on the surface than anything else, although the infection will start to get large bubbles after a while, based on pictures I've seen posted here before.

I am sure your brew is fine, but hopefully someone with more experience will chime in and tell you the same.

Matt

Hello, I am also doing a Red Cedar Ale and am experiencing the same type of white spots on the top during the secondary fermentation. I cannot see good enough through the carboy to notice any bubbleswithin the spots, and They do not seem to be growing.

how did your beer turn out?
does anyone else have a suggestion?

Thanks

Probably just bubbles. Happens to me all the time ; if you can get close enought you'll probably see them but they do resemble mold spores.

Thanks alot you guys. Just making sure. They dont seem to be growing or multiplying. At:mug: the closest look I can get they look like miniture bubbles. I'm gonna relax and have two home brews, or a store bought duece duece.Knowing I can post concerns here and feel confident in the responses I get is an awesome feeling.Thanks Again and Good Fortunes.:mug:

It's easy to get paranoid while making the first beer (or three). As they say, relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew. Beer is pretty forgiving stuff - although practicing good sanitation is always the best insurance policy.

Total n00b here so take what I say with a grain of hops but Ive noticed that mold appearance in the beer I buy in the stores. After I pour it into a glass and the head has settled there is sometimes collections of dime-sized bubbles that you would swear were mold if you didnt take a closer look. Probably the same thing youre experiencing . Must mean youre doing something right. :D

Hi All,

I've been brewing for quite a while, 10+ years, but NEVER had anything close to this... pretty sure it's mold, no white bubbles as discussed before. I just noticed this tonight, after a blazing fermentation (thanks to Nottingham). Fermentation started almost right away, so no brewer's regret, and there's and inch of trub, so I know the fermentation went well. I've always been good with the sanitation, but this is the 1st time I used Nottingham and the cap popped off the air-lock, so I'm suspicious about contamination from that. It's been about 2.5 weeks...
I see some of you suggested racking off from below the surface into the bottling bucket - anyone ever tried that? Is it really safe to try to siphon off the white layer on top and then bottle from below the surface? If so, I might name this batch... Penicillinator :confused:

EDIT: A couple of my brewing friends believe this to be an acetobacter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetobacter) infection.
It seems it was not enough to ruin the batch (no off-flavors, no malodorous scent), so I was advised to rack off from the bottom of the carboy, leaving ~2" so as not to transfer any of the bacteria. Then, pitch some fresh yeast with the corn-sugar and bottle immediately (additional yeast-pitch to ensure the good yeast out-compete the acetobacter in the bottles).

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back