Is it legal in the US for an unlicensed brewery to obtain a sponsorship?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

size

Reaction score
So let's say you have a homebrewery. A homebrewery that pumps out ~15-20 gallons a week. Lets say the house you live in is somewhat of a culmination of the party scene on your side of town. Let's say you have afterhours parties with 50-100 people. Feeding 50-100 people beer from 2AM-5AM is a tough feat, and it costs a lot of money. So let's say you want to contact a local business or something of the like to obtain a sponsorship, where they pay to advertise in your house.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but humor me. Is it legal? Could they just pay you to put up their advertisements, or do you have to be an LLC/licensed company?

unenforceable laws, and you have no idea how many people are in our household so you have no way to know whether we're breaking them or not. will you just help the thread and help me figure out the solution to this question rather than going off on a tangent?

you have no idea how many people are in our household so you have no way to know whether we're breaking them or not

I know, because I'm psychic.

Also, I know because the federal limit is 200 gallons per year per household with 2 or more adults of drinking age.

unenforceable laws, and you have no idea how many people are in our household so you have no way to know whether we're breaking them or not. will you just help the thread and help me figure out the solution to this question rather than going off on a tangent?

The solution is that it is not legal to produce 20 gallons a week and accept sponsorship because it is not legal to produce 20 gallons a week period.

Feel free to keep asking different questions until you get the answer you want, but the question you asked was answered in post number 2.

My understanding is it's 100 gallon per person with a max. of two legal drinkers gives you 200 gal. production. If your running a bootleg joing and getting by with it why invite publicity. You will get caught eventually and go to federal prison.

So let's say you have a homebrewery. A homebrewery that pumps out ~15-20 gallons a week. Lets say the house you live in is somewhat of a culmination of the party scene on your side of town. Let's say you have afterhours parties with 50-100 people. Feeding 50-100 people beer from 2AM-5AM is a tough feat, and it costs a lot of money. So let's say you want to contact a local business or something of the like to obtain a sponsorship, where they pay to advertise in your house.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but humor me. Is it legal? Could they just pay you to put up their advertisements, or do you have to be an LLC/licensed company?

Ok i have the LEGAL solution to your problem. A simple Cover Charge to ENTER the house, NOT for the buying of beer. There is no law against charging people to Come in to your house! As a perk of paying the cover charge to ENTER they are allowed to drink all the beer they want FREE OF CHARGE. Say 5-20 Per head. Simple math 5x50=250.00 5x100=500.00 20x50=1000.00 20x100=2000.00 Just Point out that there are expenses to maintaining the house with that many people coming in and that the ENTRANCE charge is to offset any damages,property losses etc.

As long as you make it CLEAR that they are PAYING to COME INTO THE HOUSE and that they are NOT paying you for your beer, that you are generously sharing your beer FREE OF CHARGE, Legally they cant bust you for selling beer without a license. And 20 bucks to enter a house were you can drink as much as you want for free is a damn good deal.

Now of course you will want to make sure than every ones id is checked and that you can call cabs for those to drunk to drive, because if they get drunk at your house,and go wreck there car they CAN sue you for letting them drive believe it or not. Just cover your bases, No under age drinkers allowed etc etc etc. You will also want to claim and pay taxes on any money you make from people paying to come into your house.

This of course does NOT cover you on making more than the federal limit, which as stated above is 200 gallons per year if there is 2 adults of drinking age, this is simply a way for you to redeem losses without actually selling beer or getting a sponsorship which WOULD attract legal attn that you do not want.

size said:

The only legal thing you are doing is having a sponser for a party beyond that. It's all illegal. You cannot brew more than 200gal a year so after 10 parties, you're spent and it becomes illegal. If you're trying to be a business, you have no liquor license, and even if you did, I'm fairly sure most places are not allowed to serve alcohol after 2am. Also you have a business in your house, illegal. People like you are the reason homebrewing is still illegal in some states. But to answer the question, any business can pay to put their name on nearly anything.

I will typically sell those big red Solo cups for $5 a pop... actually covered my expenses at the last party (food, etc.)

Are you trying to make money to cover court fees after one of your "patrons" leaves at 5am and goes head on with someone else on the road, killing them? When asked where they were boozing and how they were allowed to get that drunk, they kick you under the bus. Then all eyes are on your illegal brewery. I would probably think a little deeper about what you are doing and how it can blow up in your face. You obviously don't realize the enormous responsibility that comes with being a fully licensed and insured establishment that serves beer and spirits.

Thanks for giving the rest of us legal homebrewers a bad name. Here we are trying to stay on the right side of the law and continue to be able to enjoy our HOBBY legally without prosecution, and there you are making more than your legal share, and trying to sell it on top of that.

There is no legal way to do what you want to do. You can try and justify it, but at the end of it all, what you are doing is selling your beer, and risking lives. The Feds will not see your point of view on this, I guarantee it.

Homercidal said:
Thanks for giving the rest of us legal homebrewers a bad name. Here we are trying to stay on the right side of the law and continue to be able to enjoy our HOBBY legally without prosecution, and there you are making more than your legal share, and trying to sell it on top of that.

There is no legal way to do what you want to do. You can try and justify it, but at the end of it all, what you are doing is selling your beer, and risking lives. The Feds will not see your point of view on this, I guarantee it.

This. You're making homebrewing look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back