is it done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpark21

Reaction score
I have a batch of pilothouse pilsner in a mr beer keg. Fermentation seems to have stopped. No more bubbles or anything. It has been in the keg for 9 days.....is it done should I bottle?

Real lagers have some extra steps involved. But check it with a sanitized hydrometer to see if it's in the recommended FG range. You can't just wait for it to stop bubbling & assume it's done. It may not be.

Diecytl rests,lagering at cold temps to name 2. They aren't brewed the same as ales,nor at the same temps. Producing a good lager/pilsner is harder than most folks realize. Did they give you lager yeast?

Idk....they send the same yeast for all beers. Doesn't have a special name. Just a standard yeast.

I don't believe that mr.beer kits have "true" lagers. I believe they give you a similar malt profile but then give you a ale yeast strain to ferment with. To the op's question the only real way is to check with a hydrometer.... but I can tell you from expierence I would let it sit for about 3 weeks and as the above memeber said even the instructions say 14 days and just because you don't see bubbles that does not mean fermentation still is not taking place.

I use a Mr Beer and can attest that their yeast is an ale yeast (a little weak though so I don't use it) and it does not show much signs of active fermentation. A hydrometer is not too spendy and your best bet to know when fermentation is done. If you don't have one yet, 3 weeks is a good rule of thumb. Stick in the fridge for 48 hours prior to bottling to "cold crash" which will help clear the beer and also solidify the trub so less gets into your bottles.

Back