Is it dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadianbrewer2012

Reaction score
I am 48 hrs into my first brew.. The krausen had risen during the first 24 hrs and now at 48 hrs is.. Dead looking ... No activity ... And the krausen has flattened significantly... I am considering waiting until 72 hrs then giving it a stir to try and wake up the yeast or pitching again ... Could use some words of wisdom...

I'd wait ~5-7 days and take a hydrometer reading. You obviously had fermentation start and get going (presence of krausen), so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I've had beers that visually appear to finish in a couple days. Of course, the gravity readings will confirm what's going on, but no need to rush into that.

Ok I guess I was just set back as other brewers I were consulting with were telling me to expect a large rise in the krausen however it only ever rose 1 inch or so and dissipated shortly thereafter ...

An inch or so is a pretty good krausen layer.

What kind of recipe is it and what temperature are you fermenting at? So many factors can affect the physical appearance of a fermentation, but the hydrometer never lies.

Well I am using an extract kit where I basically boil the extract and add the hops.. I feel I did a good job in sanitizing ... At first I had my primary on my main floor which was near a window (no direct sunlight) and I felt it was to warm .. I since moved it to a cooler area in the basement around 69 degrees ...

It sounds like your fermentation temperatures may have been a little too high. That can also speed up fermentation time.

Fermentation temperatures can often be ~5-10 degrees above ambient temperature.

But, based on what you've said, I'm willing to bet you've made beer :mug:

Give it another ~10 days, check the gravity using a hydrometer, and I'll bet you're at your final gravity.

An inch of kraussen is pretty normal, especially if your OG was low (around 1.050 or lower). It sounds like you fermented warm and they yeast took off and got the job done in a day or two. I'd wait until 5 days or so and take a gravity reading, but I think you've made beer.

Mike

Back