Is it bad to blow air into the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I mean, I know it's not good, but what's the likelihood I infected my beer? Doesn't it matter if I'm sick? :)

I was trying to make sure I didn't have a blocked blowoff tube so I blew into it a few times.

Human infections won't infect beer. Normal stuff floating around in the air certainly can. Did you infect your beer? Probably not, but you'll find out soon enough

I suppose it depends how close you are to the fermenter... I mean, if you're puting your face in your beer and making bubbles, that can't be good for it.

The blowoff tube is 8' long but only 1/4" ID. The fermenter is a plastic Big Mouth Bubbler. They don't seal all that well. I wanted to make sure either a ) the lid didn't blow off or b ) krausen didn't leak out everywhere.

Fermentation is still happening so hopefully it will suffocate anything I blew in.

The blowoff tube is 8' long but only 1/4" ID. The fermenter is a plastic Big Mouth Bubbler. They don't seal all that well. I wanted to make sure either a ) the lid didn't blow off or b ) krausen didn't leak out everywhere.

Fermentation is still happening so hopefully it will suffocate anything I blew in.

1/4" ID blow off is going to be a problem....

Agreed, but the big mouth bubbler doesn't seal that well so the pressure can't really build up too much.

Do they make carboy stoppers with holes big enough to accommodate a 1/2" ID hose?

Agreed, but the big mouth bubbler doesn't seal that well so the pressure can't really build up too much.

Do they make carboy stoppers with holes big enough to accommodate a 1/2" ID hose?

Just put the 1/2" tube on the inner stem of a 3-piece airlock...use keg lube or don't push it on very far...they are a beeotch to get off.

Back