Is inoculation rate important for starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister_General

Reaction score
Brew United's yeast calculator advocates an inoculation rate between 25 and 100 million for 'best growth'.

I often lean towards thinner starters (1.030) as this leads to 'healthier yeast' but consequently, a low (<25m) inoculation rate.

Would a low rate impact the yeast in any way?

Brew United's yeast calculator advocates an inoculation rate between 25 and 100 million for 'best growth'.

I often lean towards thinner starters (1.030) as this leads to 'healthier yeast' but consequently, a low (<25m) inoculation rate.

Would a low rate impact the yeast in any way?

Yes it can affect some of the products that the yeasts produce such as diacetyl and ester production. The other large effect will be time to end of fermentation. Other than that, pH, amount of alcohol produced should be the same. Hope that helps, I posted about it recently on my website if you're interested.

Yes it can affect some of the products that the yeasts produce such as diacetyl and ester production. The other large effect will be time to end of fermentation. Other than that, pH, amount of alcohol produced should be the same. Hope that helps, I posted about it recently on my website if you're interested.

I ended up reading all the posts!

Back