Is fermentation done for my IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed an IPA with white labs San Diego super yeast with an OG of 1.062. After one week my OG was down to 1.010. Should I leave it in primary got another week, or start the dry hopping process?

I know most people talk about "letting the yeast clean up after themselves" for another week but I want this IPA to be quick ready to drink!

Let me know your process on this, thanks!

Hey guys,

I brewed an IPA with white labs San Diego super yeast with an OG of 1.062. After one week my OG was down to 1.010. Should I leave it in primary got another week, or start the dry hopping process?

I know most people talk about "letting the yeast clean up after themselves" for another week but I want this IPA to be quick ready to drink!

Let me know your process on this, thanks!

if it is done it is done

dry hop, cold crash, then keg

drink and enjoy

all the best

S_M

Beer being ready can be looked at a number of ways but mostly by the final gravity. It does appear it's either finished or nearly so.
But, how are you going to package? Keg or bottle? I keg and like to let my beer clear a bit but even if beer is finished, drinking early won't give you the best that it can after sitting a bit. Green beer is likely to happen this early but I have gone from grain to glass in 14 days and the beer was good but 2 extra weeks made a big difference.

Beer being ready can be looked at a number of ways but mostly by the final gravity. It does appear it's either finished or nearly so.
But, how are you going to package? Keg or bottle? I keg and like to let my beer clear a bit but even if beer is finished, drinking early won't give you the best that it can after sitting a bit. Green beer is likely to happen this early but I have gone from grain to glass in 14 days and the beer was good but 2 extra weeks made a big difference.

I am kegging it. I plan on dry hopping in primary, since my secondary will be full. Should I still wait another week?

I like to wait 2 weeks. Patience is going to help here. You won't have a bad beer, but I think most here would agree that you'd have a better beer if you were to give it more than a week.

I brewed an IPA Saturday night. Pitched at 72 with US05. Dropped it down to 62. I let the yeast crank away until this evening when the bubbling had started to slow. Now I begin raising the ferm chamber up a degree each day until it's at 70. I'll let it sit there for a few more days. That gets me to about 2 weeks. Then I'll dry hop in primary for 5 days and bottle. Works like a charm.

I go grain to glass kegging for IPAs in 10 days, and dry hop in the keg in a stainless mesh. Though you get some green-to-aged change for the first week, by the time it's ready the hops have already been working. Helps to maintain the hop aroma from the kettle the faster you can get it in the glass.

I am kegging it. I plan on dry hopping in primary, since my secondary will be full. Should I still wait another week?

If you plan to dry hop in the primary, you can start that process as soon as the krausen has fallen. Dry hopping while fermentation is still active can purge some of the hop aromatics you are trying to infuse into the beer. Once fermentation is complete, and throw the hops in and let them sit for a week or two (however long you plan to dry hop). You dont have to let the beer sit in the primary for a week, doing nothing, just to wait to dry hop. It will still mature while dry hopping.

Once you are finished with dry hopping, cold crash for a few days to allow the hops to crash to the bottom, keg, and carb. A good week on the gas and the beer should be solid.

Dry hop that baby. The week or so that you are dry hopping will give the beer time to condition as well as the time it takes to carb in the keg. No need to let it sit around any longer than necessary.

Back