Is DMS an issue if you were to Pasteurize a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneWolfPR

Reaction score
This is more of a curiosity question than something I actually plan to try. I know a lot of commercial brewers pasteurize their beer. I was always under the impression that pasteurization was done by applying heat to the liquid. In beer wouldn't this cause DMS to form again? Obviously it doesn't, or we'd be drinking a lot of DMS. How do they do it?

When it comes to milk, pasteurization can be performed very quickly. It is heated for a matter of seconds and then immediately cooled back down.

But if DMS is eliminated in the boil, then I don't think it is going to come back afterward.

What he said. DMS precursors still hang around, but if you had a good boil, then they should be minimal, and also most pasteurizers at big breweries are flash pasteurizers, they heat up and cool down very quickly, again eliminating a chance for much DMS to form. Our lab guy used to work at the MillerCoors plant in Ohio, and I'm fairly certain I remember him saying that the product took less than a minute to travel through their pasteurizer.

Back