Is a vomity smell *ever* a good thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delenda_est

Reaction score
So I've been homebrewing for a few months. Started with kits, then went up to partial mash recipes from my local homebrew store.

This last batch was a "lawnmower pilsner." While it came out of the primary fermenter fine, by the time I pulled it out of the carboy after a couple of weeks' rest, it had a distinct odor. I kept leaning in and giving a sniff. "What is that smell?" I kept wondering, until it hit me. Puke. Vomit. Barf. Spew.

I went ahead and mixed my priming sugar and bottled, but is there any chance this thing could recover, or have I just bottled 5 gallons of liquid barf?

That pungent acidic aroma you have is 99.99999% chance a bacterial infection. I don't think it will get any better. Since you already have it in the bottles it doesn't hurt to leave it for a few weeks then check it out, but I think it's screwed.

Maybe the vomit you have smelled has come from people that have had to much beer.

What yeast did you use? By the sounds of it you used a lager yeast. This may seem like a dumb question, but did you lager it? and if you did use a lager yeast it could be a sulfer smell that should go away during the month or two or three long lagering.

Cheers.

No, it was a Nottingham ale yeast and was fermented at room temps.

Prior to this batch, I've done pale ales, all of which had a wonderfully malty aroma prior to bottling.

Yeah, I'm screwed. Anybody want to drink some bottled barf? (dammit!)

Bottled Barf?

How bout Puke Pale Ale, Puke Porter, or Upchuck IPA, maybe Spew Stout, or even a Heavin' Weizen. :D

Sorry about the bad batch dude!

My 3CPA has a very strong grapefruit smell (Day 3), which is like vomit. I used a mix of Amarillo, Perl and Cascade for flavor/aroma and was a bit heavy-handed.

Could be an infection. Could be a combination of acetaldehyde (green apple) and diacetyl with some DMS.

If it gets better with time, the latter.

delenda_est said:
So I've been homebrewing for a few months. Started with kits, then went up to partial mash recipes from my local homebrew store.

This last batch was a "lawnmower pilsner." While it came out of the primary fermenter fine, by the time I pulled it out of the carboy after a couple of weeks' rest, it had a distinct odor. I kept leaning in and giving a sniff. "What is that smell?" I kept wondering, until it hit me. Puke. Vomit. Barf. Spew.

I went ahead and mixed my priming sugar and bottled, but is there any chance this thing could recover, or have I just bottled 5 gallons of liquid barf?

You're DQ'd from all future brewswaps unless you redeem yourself.

Back