Is a ten fidy clone possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telecaster

Reaction score
OK...I'm a total newbie...no extract brewing, no AG brewing experience. Zilch!!

My true love (other than my wife) is ten fidy...Imperial Stout, Oskar Blues, Lyon Colorado...this beer is black as oil, strong as jet fuel, and yet nectar of the gods.

Is it possible for a newbie to brew anything close to ten tidy? In other words, is there a recipe that a kook can do that'll replicate a decent imperial stout?

This is my first post...apologies if I sound like newbie...

tele...

It is a pretty big beer for your first brew. I would suggest brewing a few smaller stouts first to get you system down, lot less money lost if a batch comes out a bit off.

I agree that is an excellent beer. I can't get it here but a friend got me some to try and I loved it. That said for your first batch I'd bet you would be disappointed. It would be best if you had fermentation temp control for a beer like this. If you didn't keep it cool enough it will run wild and create a lot of harsh alcohol notes.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be difficult for your first batch.

Best of luck.

Yes, this looks like a steep learning curve for a newbie...

But, tally...thank you for the link....that recipe looks authentic...albeit a little beyond my ability. but, I'm going to brew a few batches and revisit the ten tidy recipe. Who knows, this may be one of those recipes that it's just better to buy the beer than to brew!!!

OK...this is my second post...so far, this forum is so cool, A+...nice, friendly advice. So THANKS!!

Yes, this looks like a steep learning curve for a newbie...

But, tally...thank you for the link....that recipe looks authentic...albeit a little beyond my ability. but, I'm going to brew a few batches and revisit the ten tidy recipe. Who knows, this may be one of those recipes that it's just better to buy the beer than to brew!!!

OK...this is my second post...so far, this forum is so cool, A+...nice, friendly advice. So THANKS!!

I would not give up on the idea of eventually brewing it , no reason a homebrewer could not come close, just build up to it.

Back