is a starter required?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdean

Reaction score
I am going to try my first lager and was wondering if I should use a yeast starter or if I would be ok just pitching the vial. I am making an Octoberfest and using the White Labs Octoberfest yeast. I thought I had some extra DME to make a starter but it must have gotten used. Trying to avoid a trip to the LHBS.....I have a tendancy of getting more than intended when I step foot in there.lol Do you think just the vial is enough or should I make the trip?

Also and lagering tips you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.

I don't lager but unless you're using a dry yeast, you always want a starter. From what I understand for lagers you want an even larger starter than you would use for an ale. I'd make the trip if I were you, if the worst that happens is you come home with some extra brewing stuff I don't see the problem. :D

REQUIRED.....no HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED....YES YES YES. Lagers really need a much higher cell count to get a good kick off at lower temps. You can lager with just the vial, but by the time you know the yeast hasn't taken off, it is really too late to do anything about it.

Maybe slightly:off: , but does the larger starter apply to steam beers also? I'm doing a steam beer this weekend, and I was going to set up a starter or 2 quarts tonight, should I bump it up to 4 quarts?

For a steam beer, it really depends on the fermentation temp, but bumping it up to 4 qts would not be a bad thing.

When using liquid yeast, the only time I have ever heard that a starter is not needed, is when using fresh yeast and in a Scottish 60 (according to JZ)

Back