Is a SMaSh a good first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compact007

Reaction score
So the in-laws bought me a 48 qt cooler for xmas and since then i converted it to a mash tun, I already have 1 lbs of summit hops that i got cheap and was thinking why not make my first batch a SMaSH just to get a handle on good ol all grain, i was thinking a SMaSH IPA since the hops are 18.5AA. haha maybe do something like a 60 minute IPA with them but only use about 8 oz.. hell why not all 16 WOW!!! haha I just figure give it a try right!

thanks

I like the idea.. what base grain were you planning on using? I think 16oz of 18.5AA is going to be pretty out of control... unless you only add .5 at 60 and the rest after 5 minutes lol!

Or, were you going for a 10 gallon?

SMaSH is a great way to learn about a malt or a hop and can also be a good way of getting your process down.

A huge SMaSH IPA wouldn't help you find off flavors in your beer contributed by process. Maybe something more like a low end APA would be a better first AG. Then there would be no concern if something in the batch went wrong and you lost that whole pound of hops...

Just a thought.

A SMaSH beer is a great way to get "the process" down. I kegged a Maris Otter-Fuggles before I left for vacation and can't wait to get home to try it. I also did a Vienna-Sapphire that was REALLY good. It keeps things simple and allows you to learn the malt and hop flavor.

JUST BREW IT!!

I would start using Maris Otter as your base malt. It is fully modified (though now a days most malts are) so you don't have to worry about a protein rest and it has very good efficiency.

You'll be just fine with a normal 2-row pale malt, you don't need to spend the extra bills on MO unless the style calls for it.

I am bottling my first AG today. A Marris Otter CItra SMaSH. It tasted good when I transfered to secondary.

Yeah im thinking of using a basic 2 row malt, or a pale ale malt. but it will only be a 5 gallon batch. Hope all works out well but should be a interesting start to all grain!!

I'd pick an award-winning recipe as your first AG. Something simple, of course, but once you have a grain bill picked out, it's not like it's any harder to make a stout or a SMaSH.

The reason I argue against SMaSH beers is because there seems to be a lot of mixed results about them. I love the idea of using them to explore grains and hops, but (personal bias here) I'm not a huge fan of super pale beers. I like some crystal and other specialty grains to add more diverse flavors. I sorta liken them to making light lagers - any flaws are easily detectable.

But I'm always for somebody taking the AG leap, and if you think a smash is the best for you, go for it!

Back