Is a Pale Ale good for first attempt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thad

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm absolutely new to home brewing. My wife got me a little brew kit, a craft brew kit that makes a gallon of beer. It came with supplies to make a Pale Ale. Is this a fairly simple beer for first timers. None of the supplies have best by dates. So I was thinking of going to local brewing store and getting everything fresh. I prefer darker beers. if there is a simple good dark beer I'm open to suggestions. If this goes well I'd like to try out a pumpkin spiced brew next.

Pale Ales are fairly simple recipes. If it is a West Coast Pale ALe, then it will be a bit hoppier than most Pale Ales, but that will hide some of the smaller issues new brewers seem to have (incorrect fermentation temperature and too slow to chill the wort).

Most "kit" beers are pretty safe as far as ease to brew, but darker beers can tend to take a little longer to carbonate and condition. I Sweet Stout or a or an Amber Ale are also easy early brews to take on.

As a FIRST TIME brewer go w/this kit. It's pretty straight forward just pay attention to sanitation. Follow instructions until you come to the part about fermenting time. Then................

Let it sit fore 3 weeks in the fermenter trying to keep the temperature as close to 65* F as you can. As a first timer you probably don't have a place w/a controlled temp you can keep at 65 so stet the fermenter in a larger bucket w/water and ice. Change out the ice about 2 times a day for say the first 4-5 days. Then you could let it rise but not go over 70*.
And then when you bottle let it sit in the bottles for another 3 weeks at say 70*F

Most important is sanitation and temperature for the first few days.

I assume it's an extract kit? Or extract with some steeping grains? Extracts & uncrushed grains can last a while unscathed if stored properly. Like LME's (Liquid Malt Extract) & yeasts in the fridge, hops in the freezer.
I agree to brew the pale ale & learn some brewing processes first. You have to develop a process that works for you in your situation. Then move on to more complicated beers.

As unionrdr said, if they're extracts, (which for a 1 gallon batch, I would assume they are), you don't need to go out and get ingredients. Even if there are grains in the kit, I wouldn't worry.

When I made my first kit (an IPA), I went into it with the mindset of "even if it doesn't come out quite right, this is my first time". I treated it as a practice run to learn the steps. A pale ale is a fine start! It will come out just fine.

Any of Northern Brewer's 1 gallon kits are a good start as well. I think my 2nd batch was their Bourbon Barrel Porter.

Sometimes, pumpkin ales can add an extra step or two to the process. I love a good pumpkin ale and wanted to jump right in to doing one as well when I started. But definitely learn the steps and good sanitation first.

Good luck!

Should be a good kit for you, the hoppiness of the beer will help cover some of the off flavors that are inevitable for most first time brewers :)

My second ever brew was a kit Robust Porter, was very easy to make and got great scores in a couple of contest I entered. Tasted great.
The pale ale will be easy for your first attempt, go for it.

Pale Ale is an excellent beer to start with. In my opinion it's THE beer that measures a brewer's ability. It really lets your use of malt and hops shine. As a beginner I did almost exclusively pales for a long time while I learned how different malts, hops, yeast, and eventually water profiles affected the finished product.

Thank you everyone for your feed back. I going to give it a go in the morning.

Back