Is a bottle filler really necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfknmario

Reaction score
I've been bottling my beers straight out of the spigot of my bottling bucket. Is there any reason why I should use any additional equipment? What are the advantages, if any?

Less splashing, less aeration, less oxidation, more uniform fill level, and perhaps faster/less work too.

You should never bottle with the beer falling into the bottle, like through the spigot, rather you should use a wand or a length of hose to fill from the bottom of the bottle upwards.

The reason for this is two fold, first by letting the beer fall into the bottle you are pretty much guaranteeing that you will oxidize your beer. Since there's no way to avoid the fact that your beer is falling THROUGH all the air in the bottle. Oxygen + Fermented beer = LIQUID CARDBOARD. So if you like liquid cardboard, then yeah, it's probably not all that necessary....

Secondly by filling from the bottom up, you are actually pushing the oxygen out the top of the bottle as the beer (with it's co2 already in solution) rises up the column of the bottle.

That's also why you let the beer actually spill out a little above the rim, AND you don't cap for a few minutes. This allows the co2 to help void out any air in the bottle.

Thirdly it also allows for the correct amount of headspace in the bottle.

If you don't have a wand and still insist on bottling get a length of hose to attach to your spigot, that will allow you to still fill from the bottom up. It will by filling the beer up to the top and pulling the hose out of the bottle set the proper headspace which is about an inch to an inch and a half from the crown.

I have more info and tips on bottling here in the bottling sticky.

Consistency, slightly less hassle (you don't have to shut off the spigot for each bottle, or maybe you're fast enough you don't do that anyway), less aeration so less oxidation of your brew. Not huge advantages, but IMHO enough to justify the $8-10 for a bottling wand.

I used to use just a piece of hose with a wood block and some screw to set the level above the bottom of the pot/top of trub. I got a bottling wand for Christmas. (It was an inexpensive and thoughtful gift) I love it.

...This just made me think. That wood block with the screws in it needs a name.

Does anyone else use these? I don't recall seeing anyone post a picture of one.

they are so cheap... why wouldn't you get one?? i just picked one up today for $2.00 it seems to be a worthwhile investment. especially for only $2.00

Obviously a bottle filler is not dead necessary because you have been using the spigot. So did I. I got a bottling wand to try because it was not too expansive (about $10 in 2012).

A bottling wand makes it much, much easier to fill bottles. Lots. Scads. Oodles. I would suggest a wand if you ever plan to fill more than 6 bottles.

First, it fills faster because the hose and long wand effectively lowers the outlet and creates a pressure head, and the liquid flows faster than directly from the spigot. Second, you can pay attention to the fluid level and not split your attention between holding the bottle just so to avoid splashing, and fiddling with the spigot. I would especially suggest a bottling wand to Mr. Beer users because that little keg flows sloooowly for the last two bottles.

Tip: Some people fill right up to the top and remove the wand to create measured headspace. This leaves about 2 or 3 inches of space in a longneck. My nephew, a professional brewer, stated that is too much space - it wastes the carbonation pressure. You can fill to 1/2 or 1 inch of the top by touching the end of the wand to the inside of the neck.

I just got a second bottling wand when I ordered my last beer kit from NB. About $2 for a spring valve wand is cheap insurance. I would get real pi$$ed if I ruined 2 cases of beer tying to save a couple of bucks.

There just too cheap,not too. If you dont and you age your beers you may have oxidation problems. Dont you notice alot of foam,with just the spigot? I actually recently started filling 1/2-1 inch myself my last few brews.After further reading, I did this after learning about less oxidation problems.Yes you can fill up to 1/2 inch to the rim. If its a better practice,that works better Im gonna keep doing it.
Plus they are great,you dont have to open and close the valve. I know, that it is so hard-to close and open. If your method works for you and you have no issuses then keep at it though.

Tip: Some people fill right up to the top and remove the wand to create measured headspace. This leaves about 2 or 3 inches of space in a longneck. My nephew, a professional brewer, stated that is too much space - it wastes the carbonation pressure. You can fill to 1/2 or 1 inch of the top by touching the end of the wand to the inside of the neck.

By that method my longnecks fill to about 1.5 - 2" inches headspace.

Next batch perhaps I'll try having less but so far haven't had any problems with carbing at that level of headspace.

Actually if you fill it to the top, it automatically adjusts the headpace to the same distance commercial beer bottles are filled to about 1.5 inches....which is just right. I've compared the headpsace between commercial and homebrew bottles, and it is EXACTLY the same amount of space.

And it automatically adjust it to the correct amount regardless of the size of the bottle I've found.

So far I haven't had any problems. I tilt the bottle so that there is no splashing or foaming. I actually have a wand, but just didnt want
to use more equipment than is absolutely necessary. I'll start using it from now on just in case.

Thx guys!

Obviously a bottle filler is not dead necessary because you have been using the spigot. So did I. I got a bottling wand to try because it was not too expansive (about $10 in 2012).

A bottling wand makes it much, much easier to fill bottles. Lots. Scads. Oodles. I would suggest a wand if you ever plan to fill more than 6 bottles.

First, it fills faster because the hose and long wand effectively lowers the outlet and creates a pressure head, and the liquid flows faster than directly from the spigot. Second, you can pay attention to the fluid level and not split your attention between holding the bottle just so to avoid splashing, and fiddling with the spigot. I would especially suggest a bottling wand to Mr. Beer users because that little keg flows sloooowly for the last two bottles.

2-3 inches of head space from my bottling wand?! Are you mad?? I've absolutely NEVER goten that much head space from my Fermtech bottling wand. And it's non spring loaded. Just keep the inside of the little pin valve on the end clean,& it'll never stick open. Removing the wand causes volume displacement,so the head space is perfect everytime. And I use longnecks,so your statement is false. Never got more than 1.5" tops,even in the Paulaner bottles with the slightly longer skinnier neck. The Fermtech plastic bottle filler I have is $2.75 right now at http://www.midwestsupplies.com/

So far I haven't had any problems. I tilt the bottle so that there is no splashing or foaming. I actually have a wand, but just didnt want
to use more equipment than is absolutely necessary. I'll start using it from now on just in case.

Thx guys!

You may think there's no "splashing and foaming" but you still are pouring it INTO a volume of air....This tool eliminates that.

Thx guys!

I think the bottle filler works really good if take a short length of tubing, maybe an inch, or just a bit more, and close couple the bottle filler to the spigot on the bottling bucket. All this hangs over the edge of the counter or table then you just raise the bottle up around the filler and pull it down when it's full. Couldn't be much easier.

I'd think trying to do that with the wand on the end of a hose would be harder.

I think the bottle filler works really good if take a short length of tubing, maybe an inch, or just a bit more, and close couple the bottle filler to the spigot on the bottling bucket. All this hangs over the edge of the counter or table then you just raise the bottle up around the filler and pull it down when it's full. Couldn't be much easier.

Not harder at all. Check out my bottling vid on youtube. I use a couple feet of hose from the bottling bucket over to where I'm sitting to fill the bottles. And I prop it up in a empty bottle when I need to stop & cap them. That way,the spigot stays on & I don't get air into the tube by using the spigot to stop/start flow. The way I set things up,I can sit in a chair with everything within arm's reach & no over the shoulder reaching.

That's the way I've done it. Bottling bucket on counter, bottle tree to my left, place full bottles to the right of the bucket. Sit there in a chair and just fill away. I do need a short 3" length of tubing to join the filler wand to the spigot tho. This goes really quickly, especially using 500ml PET bottles. :)

Rick

unionrdr said:
Not harder at all. Check out my bottling vid on youtube. I use a couple feet of hose from the bottling bucket over to where I'm sitting to fill the bottles. And I prop it up in a empty bottle when I need to stop & cap them. That way,the spigot stays on & I don't get air into the tube by using the spigot to stop/start flow. The way I set things up,I can sit in a chair with everything within arm's reach & no over the shoulder reaching.

I used to do it that way too until I read Revvy's bottling tips sticky. It cut lots of time off my bottling time and you dont have to worry about the wand while you cap, it just hangs there waiting for next bottle.

That's also why you let the beer actually spill out a little above the rim, AND you don't cap for a few minutes. This allows the co2 to help void out any air in the bottle.

This is what I do. I fill all of my bottles and place the caps on loosely before crimping caps. I like watching the caps jump around while I fill bottles!

I used to do it that way too until I read Revvy's bottling tips sticky. It cut lots of time off my bottling time and you dont have to worry about the wand while you cap, it just hangs there waiting for next bottle.

Not much trouble for me either,as you'd see in my video. I have everything for brewing in/on an old printer stand. I just prop the tube over the fermenter's spigot on the left,bottling bucket on the right,tip of bottler in a empty bottle while capping. Quick & easy for me. My Cooper's micro brew fermenter uses a bottling wand that goes right up into the spigot like y'all do with a bottling bucket. I just pulled the pin valve & attached the tube/bottling wand to that. Either way is fine & not really any tribble at'all.

Dynachrome said:
...This just made me think. That wood block with the screws in it needs a name.

I vote for: Woodscrewblockthingamajig; or possibly: Environmentally friendly manually adjustable levelling system for bottling day tasks, version 1.

I certainly agree, especially if you already have the wand in your possession. I don't understand how much equipment you use has an impact on how great the beer is; it's all about using the right equipment, not as little as possible.

For the insurance it provides (as detailed by Revvy multiple times), a $2.99 purchase is one of the most important you can make.

English to German: "on bottling hose weight " = "auf Abfüllung Schlauchgewicht".

"on bottling hose-holder" - "bei der Abfüllung Schlauch-Halter"

I was going to try French for "hose holder", but thought better....

Unterboden - Under board. I like the sound even if it is a really rough translation. I added the bottle of Great Dane in there because I had it out to show a friend. It's 12.4 percent.

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

Latest posts

Back