Is 70% really that bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BALLS.. Just did another brew last night. My goal OG was 1.054 (70%). Hit 1.060 (75%). The only thing that I did different was raise the mash temp from 152 to 158. Everything else was the same.

Guess I'm just trying to dial everything in..

Check your thermometer, mash temp shouldn't affect efficiency.

BALLS.. Just did another brew last night. My goal OG was 1.054 (70%). Hit 1.060 (75%). The only thing that I did different was raise the mash temp from 152 to 158. Everything else was the same.

If you really want to get it down to 1.054 you can always dilute it a bit.

I bet that there are some other variables. Really think about your session. Was that the only change? Not sure you can say "The only change was mash temp and efficiency went from 70% to 75% " ;)

Is it really that bad? I say no, who cares.

IMO, it's more important to have a general idea of what kinda efficiency you're getting with your system (which, it sounds like you do) & account for that and shoot for consistent results, rather than just pursuing an arbitrary number.

THIS. I don't chase efficiency numbers, so all this is irrelevant to me. My system hits the OG ranges for the recipes I use, Q.E.D.

I try to keep my sessions identical. I add grains 3lbs at a time. And stir to avoid clumping. Once I have everything together I take the origional mash temp. At 30 min I re-stir and double check mash temps. I usually don't have to adjust it, it may change 1 degree, but no more than that. At 45 min I stir again.

At 55 min. I take a gallon of the wort out and circulate it back through the mash tun.

Once it's fully drained again, I add my sparge water. I stir it in and let it sit for 10 min. After 10 min, I slowly drain the sparge water and then slowly add the rest of my sparge water in a continuous drain (kind of a fly sparge).

Like I said I try to keep everything the exact same. Just so I can get the same efficiency everytime.

Like I said I really don't care about a few % points, but getting between 68-75, can throw off your plan a little.

Back