Is 14 days safe to assume IPA finished fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
I broke my hydrometer last night and don't feel like driving 40 mins to the LHBS or waiting 5 days shipping (I just ordered 2 new ones today).

I really wanted to bottle and have ready for an event coming up.

The airlock was really busy for the first 3 days and then slowed and stopped and it's been sitting in the primary for 10 days after the bubbles stopped -14 total.

You guys think (taking a guess) it would be safe to bottle?

Taking a guess, yes, I would say it is done. However, the violently exploding glass shards and subsequent sticky mess won't be in my house, so maybe I'm not a good judge.

Is it done? Most likely. Are you taking a gamble, yes.

I would think so, but the only way to be sure is to take a gravity reading. If you have not had troubles in the past and pitched a proper amount of yeast I would go for it.

You know what assuming says about you right? :ban: But yes I would think you are good.

What was your OG and how were your temps?

I've had a bottle bomb from a brew that had been fermented for 2 weeks and was at its expected FG by the reading on the hydrometer. I weighed my priming sugar and set it for a lower amount of carbonation and still have a batch that is so overcarbonated that it gushes on opening and when one bottle was brought to a warmer location it blew. Just how much do you want to gamble.

Hour and a half worth of driving versus the possibility that you're not done fermenting? Sounds like you're in for a couple chapters of a good audio book! :)

You might be fine... but why risk it to save an hour and a half, brother? You put in several hours of brweing time... have waited weeks for fermentation... will wait weeks more for conditioning......... so I guess I'll be in the minority that says take the drive to be sure!

@ RM-MN; I would wager that you, unfortunately, had an infection with that batch. In 24 years of brewing, home and commercial, I have never seen an ale not finish out within 2 weeks.

I've had a bottle bomb from a brew that had been fermented for 2 weeks and was at its expected FG by the reading on the hydrometer. I weighed my priming sugar and set it for a lower amount of carbonation and still have a batch that is so overcarbonated that it gushes on opening and when one bottle was brought to a warmer location it blew. Just how much do you want to gamble.

Well, based on this example, he's damned either way...just bottle it then.

( I know what you meant... :mug: )

Two weeks, it almost, ALMOST, has got to be finished. I've had beer 'finish' in 36 hours before (once, a stout, was good). I think 10 days is the longest fermentation I've had.

Espeically if it had a healthy 'bubblin' at the beginning.

Most of the time,my average gravity beers take 2.5-3 weeks to finish & settle out clear or slightly misty. Let it settle out for 3-7 days first. This'll also make sure it's done fermenting. I've had some go 3.5 weeks knockin off that last couple of points. Patience is golden in this hobby.

@ RM-MN; I would wager that you, unfortunately, had an infection with that batch. In 24 years of brewing, home and commercial, I have never seen an ale not finish out within 2 weeks.

It's an interesting infection if it is. There are no off flavors to the beer and it has remained at the same level of carbonation for 3 months or more. I would have thought if it was infected that it would continue to gain carbonation until all the bottles blew.:rockin:

Unless it is more an Imperial than a typical IPA, you should be good. A healthy ale yeast should have ripped through there by now.

Then again, you could dry hop for a few days- thus setting your mind at ease and increasing the flavor all in one fell swoop.

freisste said:
Taking a guess, yes, I would say it is done. However, the violently exploding glass shards and subsequent sticky mess won't be in my house, so maybe I'm not a good judge.

Is it done? Most likely. Are you taking a gamble, yes.

^^This^^ personally is wait and verify but I'm very patient:)

Back