Is 1 L too big for vitality starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith81

Reaction score
I am thinking about trying out vitality starters and the easiest way I can think of to do it is with canned wort. I was thinking about getting a pack of Propper to try out but it says one can makes a 1 L starter and from what I've read the common size for vitality starters is 500 ml. Would 1L perform much different? I'd be attempting to time it to be on the stir plate for about 4 hours but would wait until I saw significant activity.

Thanks

No, one liter is perfect. Make it in a gallon bottle for maximum aeration, and "shake it like it owes you money."

I have revived year old slurry with a "half strength" starter on a stir plate. Then chill, decant, and do
"real" starter. While likely overkill, I just do 2L starters for every batch. I fill a yeast tube with the yeast from the starter to save, then the rest goes to the beer. I've used my Voss Kviek probably 7-8 times over the course of 2 years no problem.

Back