Irish stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason43

Reaction score
Fermenting since 11/19. Just took an sg for the first time in my life and it looked to be between 75 or 78 any help?

There are too many factors to give you a quick answer. What was the starting gravity before adding yeast? What temperature is the fermenter kept at? Did you put the yeast in when it was cooled to fermenting temperature? Was the yeast stored properly before using it? Did you attempt to oxygenate your wort by shaking or splashing before adding yeast?

My quick answer would be to toss in some fresh yeast and see what happens. Temperature control and healthy yeast are probably the two most important factors.

Also, did you spin the hydrometer and make sure there was no bubbles or foam sticking the it? Try taking another sample and use strict sanitation procedures. Or just toss in some yeast and check it in another week.

No I didn't take an og and it's been fermenting at around 70 degrees plus or minus 5. It was my 1st time to use a hydrometer. And the sample tasted pretty good! Any more suggestions?

I've had strange gravity readings that made no sense and the beer was still good. Brew another batch and let this one sit another week or two. Just make sure the gravity reading is holding steady for several days if you plan to bottle. You definitely don't want any bombs. It's a heavy beer. It may just taste awesome and just be low alcohol. Which means you can drink more and still walk straight.:)

Will do ziggy! It's definitely siting another week. Thanks for the advice.

Jason; Not being sure of your hydrometer, there are usually several different sets of numbers. The scale with the 1.000 (the specific gravity of water) and up from there. The next set of numbers on my hydrometer is the potential alcohol by volume. Take the Original Gravity(OG) and see the cooresponding numbers. The last is an approximation of sugar per liter - haven't a clue what that is for.

I've brewed a number of stouts and have had OG readings of 1.048 to 1.075. Those would produce 5.5% and 10.5% alcohol by volume (ABV) if they fermented down to
1.000. But stouts are "thick" beers and and usually have a Final Gravity (FG) of 1.018 and up.

For example; my current stout had an OG of 1.058 and the cooresponding ABV was 7.8% if it fermented to a FG of 1.000. But since it is a stout, it finished (FG) at 1.020 for an ABV of about 5%. See this link for a bunch of good info and calculators. Alcohol By Volume ABV Calculator | Brewer's Friend

No worries. If it tasted good, then it should be good. Follow the advice you've received and have fun.

Cheers!

@jmprdood: do you like to skydive or bungee jumping? (maybe I mistranslated/guessed your user name)
anyway -- That's what great about Irish Stout homebrew (better than Guinness)
Also: Sometimes the English Stout is malty, sometime sweet & huge mouth-feel, high gravity, and alcohol to crisp it up and finish the taste. Excellent choice Jason! One of my favorite styles. Keep experimenting with different versions. Give us an update PLEASE.

Ziggy - long time skydiving instructor - don't do it anymore. Fill the weekends w/ family and my brewing

Ziggy - long time skydiving instructor - don't do it anymore. Fill the weekends w/ family and my brewing

Same here: Lost the silk and scuba gear in my twenties. 12 grandkids and hiking the AT are my big adventures now... when not brewing. I think of the song "glory days". But life is still good!

jason43 said:
Will do ziggy! It's definitely siting another week. Thanks for the advice.

Brewed a German style light beer yesterday and had a slight boil over. The og was 1.037. Should I be worried? its fermenting in the garage and is gonna get cold tonight

Depends on how cold and what yeast. Most ale yeast don't like getting below about
60F, lager yeast is OK with it.

I brew my ales in my utility room and it stays a constant 70F year round.

1.037 will be a light beer with about 3.5% ABV.

Back