Irish Stout Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ireland89

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I finished mixing every thing last night at 9pm and I went to check on it this morning and there was froth everything, it was up the airlock too and the lid was bent.

Have I do something wrong here? I am having to check it every 30 mins to make sure the lid does not come off again.

(My first brew)

:confused:

I've heard of froth getting into the airlock and people seem to have no different flavors, and for the lid, did you make sure you put it on all the way with no space? Maybe your bucket is too small or you have too much wort?
Good luck I hope it turns out good!

Ireland89 said:
Hello everyone,

I finished mixing every thing last night at 9pm and I went to check on it this morning and there was froth everything, it was up the airlock too and the lid was bent.

Have I do something wrong here? I am having to check it every 30 mins to make sure the lid does not come off again.

(My first brew)

:confused:

Sounds like you got yeastive activitus..... Very healthy yeast activity nothing to worry about. The co2 blowing out will not allow any nasties in. Put on a blow off tube, apiece of tubing, from the hole in your lid, into s bowl of water/vodka.
All will be well and RDWHAHB :). Clean your airlock and after everything dies down put it back in. I see your in Sligo, where did you get your supplies? I'm in Galway and use homebrew west

I've heard of froth getting into the airlock and people seem to have no different flavors, and for the lid, did you make sure you put it on all the way with no space? Maybe your bucket is too small or you have too much wort?
Good luck I hope it turns out good!

It is on all the way when I left it but it did not totally come off, just lid just bent so I had to reshape it and put it back on (after cleaning it)

I think the bucket is big enough, well, according to the instructions any way.

I am having to check it every 30 mins...will it eventually calm down?

Sounds like you got yeastive activitus..... Very healthy yeast activity nothing to worry about. The co2 blowing out will not allow any nasties in. Put on a blow off tube, apiece of tubing, from the hole in your lid, into s bowl of water/vodka.
All will be well and RDWHAHB :). Clean your airlock and after everything dies down put it back in. I see your in Sligo, where did you get your supplies? I'm in Galway and use homebrew west

Will the siphoning tube work for now? I order mine from ebay, can't seem to find a place in Sligo who does it.

I will be moving go Galway next month

Ireland89 said:
Will the siphoning tube work for now? I order mine from ebay, can't seem to find a place in Sligo who does it.

I will be moving go Galway next month

There is nothing unusual about what is happening, it's actually a good thing. The tube will work and after a couple of days replace it with your airlock... DON'T follow the instructions telling you to bottle after 7 days, give it at least 2 weeks in your fermenter, longer if you can then bottle and leave for a min of 3 wks but alot longer to help age your stout, you will have great beer if you can wait

As for eBay don't buy there anymore check out the shops in ireland, they all ship for €4 ish

There is nothing unusual about what is happening, it's actually a good thing. The tube will work and after a couple of days replace it with your airlock... DON'T follow the instructions telling you to bottle after 7 days, give it at least 2 weeks in your fermenter, longer if you can then bottle and leave for a min of 3 wks but alot longer to help age your stout, you will have great beer if you can wait

As for eBay don't buy there anymore check out the shops in ireland, they all ship for €4 ish

It seems to be doing better now, still a fair bit of pressure pushing the lid up.

Ireland89 said:
It seems to be doing better now, still a fair bit of pressure pushing the lid up.

That's normal. It's the co2 pushing out the oxygen. It will settle down so don't worry just think of all the lovely beer your going to have :)

Sorry if I gave any false information I'm knew and don't have any experiences with my lids bending, and that's good it didn't pop off like I imagined, good luck

Sorry if I gave any false information I'm knew and don't have any experiences with my lids bending, and that's good it didn't pop off like I imagined, good luck

I think I need to buy better quality equipment

I just took a look and the the head/froth in the bin has gone down totally, is this normal? plus there is a strong smells coming from it too, it this normal also?

It's been fermenting for nearly 3 and a bit days

Ireland89 said:
I just took a look and the the head/froth in the bin has gone down totally, is this normal? plus there is a strong smells coming from it too, it this normal also?

It's been fermenting for nearly 3 and a bit days

Don't be worrying so much, everything is normal. If your concerned take a reading and that will tell you if it's finished or not. Best advice I got was to RDWHAHB and wait at least 2 wks. You WILL have beer at the end. It's like kids, the first will freak you out but after that you'll take it all in your stride. BEER BEER BEER that's what you'll have it a couple of weeks :). Those smells will dissipate , yeast produces some weird reactions

Don't be worrying so much, everything is normal. If your concerned take a reading and that will tell you if it's finished or not. Best advice I got was to RDWHAHB and wait at least 2 wks. You WILL have beer at the end. It's like kids, the first will freak you out but after that you'll take it all in your stride. BEER BEER BEER that's what you'll have it a couple of weeks :)

according to my hydrometer (no idea how to read this) it's on the line at 20?

(What does RDWHAHB mean? :mug: )

Ireland89 said:
according to my hydrometer (no idea how to read this) it's on the line at 20?

(What does RDWHAHB mean? :mug: )

Take a pic of hydrometer and we can help you read it.... Did you take a reading before you put yeast in? What was it
You'll have to figure out RDWHAHB yourself, just like the rest of us. Think beer and relaxing

Take a pic of hydrometer and we can help you read it.... Did you take a reading before you put yeast in? What was it
You'll have to figure out RDWHAHB yourself, just like the rest of us. Think beer and relaxing

Did not take a reading before because I did not have a hydrometer.

I just put it in the bin and read it from there so I will do it again now and upload the picture

Ireland89 said:
Did not take a reading before because I did not have a hydrometer.

I just put it in the bin and read it from there so I will do it again now and upload the picture

Leave it for 2 wks total, at day 12,13 & 14 tale readings, if they are the same it's done. Bottle and leave for at least 3 wks and more if you can as stout ages well. Look up Revy's patience thread it will teach you a lot and ease a lot of worries :)

Leave it for 2 wks total, at day 12,13 & 14 tale readings, if they are the same it's done. Bottle and leave for at least 3 wks and more if you can as stout ages well. Look up Revy's patience thread it will teach you a lot and ease a lot of worries :)

poo.jpg

Looks like its going up in notches of 2, check your instructions to see where it should end up. Buy like I said leave it for 2 wks and take the readings, it'll probably finish around 1.013/4

Latest posts

Back