Irish red ******

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnomyaR

Reaction score
I made a extract with grains from monster brew.... Terrible....
Taste like thyme and black licorice. I've got 50 bottled

Let em sit I did a irish red that i despised it was horrendous brewed others forgot about it and they actually mellowed out

Cheers Mango

Let it set a month or two then try one. If no good maybe you can use it for making chili.

I've made a couple really crappy Irish Reds too. Main thing is to try to figure out why it didn't turn out right. Post recipe here and you'll probably get a few comments that will help you sort it out. I've got a recipe I love so now I'm married to it.

Let it set a month or two then try one. If no good maybe you can use it for making chili.

I've made a couple really crappy Irish Reds too. Main thing is to try to figure out why it didn't turn out right. Post recipe here and you'll probably get a few comments that will help you sort it out. I've got a recipe I love so now I'm married to it.

Hey!! That Irish turned out WONDERFUL!! Thanx!!

Yeah, if you've got 50 bottled, you might as well sit on 'em 'till the NFL starts at least - hopefully by the time the Lions are eliminated from playoff contention (week 8 or so) the beer tastes good! I think the Lions are the reason I like brewing so much - the numb the pain of their dismal franchise.

Puddlethumper, what's the Irish Red recipe that you like a lot? Thanks, Steve

I do AG so will give it to you in that format. I'm not too good at converting between AG and extract but I'm sure that can be done easily enough by someone with a little more expertise.

7 1/2 lb. Maris Otter
12 oz. British dark crystal (could sub Crystal 120)
8 oz. Munich
6 oz. Roasted Barley

Mash 60 min. @ 152
Batch sparge @180 to preboil volume of 7.0 gal.
Boil 60 min.

1 oz. Fuggle @60 min.
1 tsp. Irish Moss or 1 Whirfloc tablet @ 15 min.
1 oz. Fuggle @10 min.

1 vial WLP004 Irish Ale yeast (1L starter recommended but not absolutely necessary)

Ferment 10-14 days @ 66F
Bright tank/Settling tank 10-14 days @66F
Carbonate to ~1.5 - 2.0 vols. co2

OG 1.037-1.044
FG 1.010-1.011
IBU 20
Color 19 SRM
ABV 3.4%

This recipe yields a very smooth a drinkable session ale. Much like an English ordinary bitter (from which Irish red ales evolved) but with a distinct rich smokiness. It seems the longer it sets in the keg or bottle the better the flavor gets.

Cheers! :mug:

Thanks very much! I just started doing BIAB so I will be trying this in the near future.

My pleasure. If you do try it I'd be interested to learn how it turned out for you.

I was just messing around with the recipe on BrewTarget just out of curiosity. It would appear that a simple substitution of Coopers light LME for the Maris Otter then steep the other grains should yield a very comparable extract version.

Cheers!

I do AG so will give it to you in that format. I'm not too good at converting between AG and extract but I'm sure that can be done easily enough by someone with a little more expertise.

7 1/2 lb. Maris Otter

12 oz. British dark crystal (could sub Crystal 120)

8 oz. Munich

6 oz. Roasted Barley

Mash 60 min. @ 152

Batch sparge @180 to preboil volume of 7.0 gal.

Boil 60 min.

1 oz. Fuggle @60 min.

1 tsp. Irish Moss or 1 Whirfloc tablet @ 15 min.

1 oz. Fuggle @10 min.

1 vial WLP004 Irish Ale yeast (1L starter recommended but not absolutely necessary)

Ferment 10-14 days @ 66F

Bright tank/Settling tank 10-14 days @66F

Carbonate to ~1.5 - 2.0 vols. co2

OG 1.037-1.044

FG 1.010-1.011

IBU 20

Color 19 SRM

ABV 3.4%

This recipe yields a very smooth a drinkable session ale. Much like an English ordinary bitter (from which Irish red ales evolved) but with a distinct rich smokiness. It seems the longer it sets in the keg or bottle the better the flavor gets.

This looks great! I've been looking for an Irish red recipe for my next brew, I think I'll give this a go. Thanks for posting!

This looks great! I've been looking for an Irish red recipe for my next brew, I think I'll give this a go. Thanks for posting!

Again, my pleasure. I've made this recipe a number of times and it has never disappointed me. But again, I'd like to learn how it turns out for you if you brew it.

BTW, we have fairly hard water here that is fairly high in bicarbonates. So I mix our well water 50/50 with RO water from a nearby vending machine. Add 1 tsp. calcium chloride per 5 gal. of that to get things close. It isn't as precise as some will do but it works well enough for me.

Cheers!

Again, my pleasure. I've made this recipe a number of times and it has never disappointed me. But again, I'd like to learn how it turns out for you if you brew it.

BTW, we have fairly hard water here that is fairly high in bicarbonates. So I mix our well water 50/50 with RO water from a nearby vending machine. Add 1 tsp. calcium chloride per 5 gal. of that to get things close. It isn't as precise as some will do but it works well enough for me.

Cheers!

That's about all I do for water adjustments, too. One adjustment for malty beers, and another for hoppy beers. It's worked well enough so far. I'm using Lake Superior water, but it's fairly hard, too. I only have a half dozen all grain brews so far and I'm still working through some details, but I'll definitely let you know my results.

Just a follow-up on this thread, I'm getting set up to make another run of this recipe but adding 1/2 lb. of #2 Invert sugar to the recipe. Since Irish Red ales originated from English bitters and traditional bitters use invert I've decided, through extrapolation, that this will be a logical next move.

If you are interested in traditional English beers you might check out the following thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/english-ales-whats-your-favorite-recipe-472464/

Just a follow-up on this thread, I'm getting set up to make another run of this recipe but adding 1/2 lb. of #2 Invert sugar to the recipe.

After further reading and learning I've decided that this batch will receive 4 oz. invert #2 with no modification to the grain bill. A half pound will be too much for this grain bill.

Back