Irish Red Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And doing a partial mash what British base grain would you use? This is what's generally available:

Maris Otter, Optic, Pearl, and Halcyon, though there's also Rahr 2-row and Castle Belgian pale.

Just finished carbing an irish red which turned out really well. As far as the S-04 that may be a little to many esters for it to be in style. You might get away with US-05 for a cleaner cheaper yeast. I went with the Marris Otter for a base. Used Wyeast 1084 for my yeast and it did very well.

Here is the recipe I used
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27084
Its all grain but it may help with the selecting how much of different grains to steep.

Hope this helps

-Imp

Awesome! Thanks!

I've been using dry yeast lately as I lost track of my liquid strains and how many times I had used them, which was a while. And since we will be moving soon decided to try the dry yeasts, which I'm finding I like.

I have wondered what UK liquid yeast I could keep on hand as I wouldn't brew these often enough to keep it going, and would then need a one will do a good for all strain, and wondered about S-04 since it lasts soooo long in comparison.

I've also wondered about mixing S-04 and US-05.

I used a combination of S-04 and WLP004 for my Ryerish Red. Long story short - I didn't have enough time to make a starter and my OG was over the WLP004 threshold, so I also pitched a half pack of S-04. It turned out beautifully and brought out the maltiness but left it just dry enough to let the hops shine through. I would definitely go with WLP004 exclusively if I had the time to make the starter.

This is what I had come up with earlier:

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/irish-red-255

Outside of S-04 not being quite right would you change anything?

I would consider omitting the roasted barley and upping the CaraRed and CaraMunich evenly to adjust for it. I used 4oz of roasted barley in my red and it's more to the Southern Brown profile than Irish Red. Also, have you considered using Northern Brewer for your bittering hops? They tend to stand up a little bolder when using S-04 and a fair amount of roasted/crystal malts. That's just my preference though.

I've never used Northern Brewer or made anything other than an American style so far, though I will be making an ESB and using NB for bittering next week.

In something I had just read it mentioned Fuggles being ideal.

I've never used Northern Brewer or made anything other than an American style so far, though I will be making an ESB and using NB for bittering next week.

In something I had just read it mentioned Fuggles being ideal.

Don't get me wrong, Fuggles is probably the most versatile hops for any UK beer and I love 'em. I've just found that after doing this red recipe 3 or 4 times, that NB really stands up better. Again, just my opinion. Brew on!

I'm certainly game to try it.

I had also read that 1/4 lb of carared or caramunich is about max in a 5 gal recipe. I typically make 6 gals, but does that sound about right?

I had adjusted my recipe and gave a bit more to both the red and munches, but still kept a small pinch of roasted barley for the color as I was hesitant to add much more of either.

I think the updated recipe looks good. If that is the one I am looking at. 2oz of RB i think. One of the nice things about brewtoad is if you update the recipe it stays under the same link. Should be good either way. I believe it is 5% of grain bill or less IIRC. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Indeed it is the updated version.

I've only had a couple of Irish reds and really enjoyed them. Time to brew one, and as a bonus I could talk SWMBO into funding it so that it doesn't count towards my hobby funding as she is partly Irish!

I definitely think you need roasted barley in an Irish red. It gives the color and the right roast bitterness.

Personally I think you can't beat WLP-004 Irish Ale yeast for an Irish Red ale. It adds a level of deep smokiness that no other yeast I have found can supply.

Back