irish red ale advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonarek

Reaction score
Anyone done an irish red ale before? thoughts on this recipe? thanks :)

extract
4 gal batch
4.8 abv
21 ibu
hopefully red in color...

4 lb light dme
1 lb amber dme

4 oz C60
1 oz C120
2 oz roasted barley
2 oz carapils/dextrine malt

2 oz Fuggle 60 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings 10 min
1 oz Willamette 1 min

American Ale yeast

No need for the Carapils, that is already in the extract. The late hop addition should be little to none. I wouldn't add more than 0.2 oz at 10 mins for a 4 gal batch.

American ale yeast (S05?) will work, but I would use S04 which would leave a little more residual sweetness. With a 4 gallon batch you could also pitch one vial or packet of WY1084/WLP004 liquid yeast.

Critical comments to make a good Irish Red. Drop the roasted barley entirely. Crystal 60 is ok so bump it up to 12 oz. Crystal 120 is interesting but not needed here. Substitute with 4 oz Belgian Special B, you'll love it. Add 12 oz each of Belgian Biscuit and 2 row pale malt. Trust me. Switch from your yeast to Irish Ale yeast like Wyeast 1084. Consider going a bit bigger to 6 lbs. Light LME and 5 gallon total volume for the batch if you have fermenter room. You can thank me in 6 weeks.

Critical comments to make a good Irish Red. Drop the roasted barley entirely. Crystal 60 is ok so bump it up to 12 oz. Crystal 120 is interesting but not needed here. Substitute with 4 oz Belgian Special B, you'll love it. Add 12 oz each of Belgian Biscuit and 2 row pale malt. Trust me. Switch from your yeast to Irish Ale yeast like Wyeast 1084. Consider going a bit bigger to 6 lbs. Light LME and 5 gallon total volume for the batch if you have fermenter room. You can thank me in 6 weeks.

Just an opinion, but an Irish red needs to have roasted barley. Otherwise you've just got some kind of bitter.

I have been using an Irish Red Ale extract kit from AHS as one of my staples. Here is the recipe;

I use Muntons Gold Premium Dry Yeast and it gives an English Ale taste to it. I also add some extra corn sugar to offset the additional water top up that I do and keep the ABV above 5%

101814 AHS Irish Red Ale.jpg

The first one I brewed was a MoreBeer kit. It was such a hit I had to keep brewing it. You can check out their ingredient list online.

I just ordered an Irish Red Ale kit, the recipe is:

6 lbs Amber LME
1 lb Amber DME
8 oz Crystal 120
1 oz East Kent Goldings @ 60minutes.

WLP004 yeast

I'm doing a 3 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch and punching this info into Brewers Friend indicates I'll need to add another oz of EKG to get the desired bitterness. So I ordered another oz. Kit should arrive today, I'll be brewing this weekend.

Latest posts

Back