Irish moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try whirlfloc tablets - they are made out of irish moss but seem to work way better ( IMHO) for some reason.

If you are looking for crystal clear beer, then filtering it would be the optimum way. If you keg you could try using gelatin. (I keg, but don't use gelatin. I use Whirlfloc in anything that doesn't have wheat in it.)

If you are looking for crystal clear beer, then filtering it would be the optimum way. If you keg you could try using gelatin. (I keg, but don't use gelatin. I use Whirlfloc in anything that doesn't have wheat in it.)

Gelatin works for those who bottle, as well. You still require some crashing in the fridge after carbonation is complete, but it clears up much more quickly than if you don't use gelatin. :mug:

I also use Whirlfloc, and it works great. I dump everything (wort, hot break, cold break) into my fermentation vessel and can get crystal clear beer after fining with gelatin and putting the bottles in my fridge for a week or so.

What about Sparkolloid as a fining agent? I used some in a plum wine and the results after one day were really impressive....got very clear. I understand it can be used for beer too.

Gelatin does work very well.

There is a good recent thread on it here

Should cover a lot of questions on the topic.

Unlike Irish moss, it is of course not added in the boil but to the beer after fermentation in the FV or keg.

I use both

Speaking of gelatin, I used my first ever whirfloc tablet at 15 left in the boil. I whirlpooled, cooled it down, and pitched it into the fermenter. I didn't quite get it down to temp, so I held off on pitching the yeast. I put it in my fermenting fridge to cool down to 68, and while waiting these huge gelatin looking jelly fish things appeared in the wort. Top and bottom.

Please help! Any explanation would be great. New brewer here so take it easy.

Happy brewing!

Speaking of gelatin, I used my first ever whirfloc tablet at 15 left in the boil. I whirlpooled, cooled it down, and pitched it into the fermenter. I didn't quite get it down to temp, so I held off on pitching the yeast. I put it in my fermenting fridge to cool down to 68, and while waiting these huge gelatin looking jelly fish things appeared in the wort. Top and bottom.

Please help! Any explanation would be great. New brewer here so take it easy.

Happy brewing!

It sounds like large chunks of break material.

Back