Irish Moss effect on bottle priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDance

Reaction score
Hello HBT peeps!
I just had a question about using Irish moss and the effects on bottle conditioning/priming...

Has anyone found that when using Irish moss in a recipe the bottle carbonation takes longer? Should it?

My thinking is that the moss would take some of the yeast with it in its “clarifying” process, thus leaving what’s left for fermentation or after fermentation a little “yeast deficient”.

Just my thoughts. I am most likely WAY off with those thoughts, that’s why I’m asking those who are smarter then I.

IM introduced late in the boil is unlikely to have much clarifying power by the end of fermentation as the carrageenan will have found plenty of trub to bind to way earlier in the brewing process.

I've always used IM and when I was bottling never had any problem getting them carbed up to style...

Cheers!

IM introduced late in the boil is unlikely to have much clarifying power by the end of fermentation as the carrageenan will have found plenty of trub to bind to way earlier in the brewing process.

I've always used IM and when I was bottling never had any problem getting them carbed up to style...

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply!
I’ve never found it to create problems getting carbed up, it was just a thought that I was having.

Back