Irish Car Bomb Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I can safely say a full vanilla bean may have been too much for a 5 gallon specialty grain extract batch.

WOW I am so glad I stumbled on this thread! Probably going to brew up FermFreak's recipe this weekend while I wait for Zak to finish his vanilla bean version. Ferm, did you notice a big difference as the bottles aged, or is it just three weeks in bottles then bottoms up? Any idea what the ABV is?

I am making an Irish Stout with Jameson right now and I must say its very tasty! Not quite a full car bomb because its missing a couple ingredients. I might have to improve it to this thread's standards and do another :)

damb i should have done this for paddy's day. does any body think this would be worth doing with a kit or would it be a waste, keep in mind i have never done a full boil but have done stout kits that work out ok

My former boss from ireland would hate us all. The only irish car bombs kills british. we had to call it the irish milk shake, or be thrown out and fired.

kcross13 said:
My former boss from ireland would hate us all. The only irish car bombs kills british. we had to call it the irish milk shake, or be thrown out and fired.

Wow... you said "irish car bomb" in front of a person from ireland?

Just.... wow...

I kept it simple and it came out GREAT! Basically took a dry irish stout kit and added Jameson at both secondary stage and direct to the keg. It's amazing and goes down smooth! You can taste the Jameson but its not overpowering at all...in fact it compliments very well. Actually a little too well lol.

Anyone know how to calculate the ABV after the Jameson is added? I know my dry irish stout base recipe was about 4.5%, but I'm sure its a bit more now that some Jameson was included lol. Just like to put a number to it.

I didnt say I said it. I watched a customer get tossed. picked up and tossed, and the bartender and staff get reemed for even considering that a drink name.

Can't say bomb on a plane.

OK not really but it went over very well among my friends and brew club members.

Mash (Dry Irish Stout from NB plus a little)

Fermentables/sugars
6 lbs English Maris Otter (60 min)
2 lbs Flaked Barley (60 min)
1 lbs English roasted Barley(60 min)
10 oz Choc Malt(60 min)
4 oz Black Pattent(60 min)
.75 lbs Lactose (15 min)
8 oz Maltodextrin (MD) (15 min)
2 lbs Extra Dark DME (15 min) (group decision to bump up the abv)

Hops

1.5 oz Cluster (60 min)

Yeast
Safale s-04

I got a Pre OG of 1038
Post OG 1060 w/ lactose and MD... I forgot to take it before adding that stuff but before the DME
OG of 1084
FG 1030

Brewed 2/1/12
Secondary 2/23/12
Bottled 3/4/12

It took a couple days for it to start fermenting... I had it in to cold of area.

Ok... to the next step. I soaked some Jameson on oak for 10 and then added 2 vanilla beans that i just chopped up and dropped into the jar for 2 days before I moved to Secondary.

Secondary I put
3.5 oz of oak
4.5 oz of Jameson
2 Vanilla Beans

At bottling I made a mad concoction using a couple friends as guinea pigs and we decided on this:
10 oz Jameson (in the future i will cut this back to 8 giving a total of 12.5 oz)
3.83 oz Vanilla Extract (after reading the posts here extract would give it vanilla staying power plus next time I will scrap the beans... i didnt think it would matter but I couldnt taste really any vanilla out of secondary. I think this is the greatest variable to be considered)
15 oz Lactose
3 cups of Extra strength coffee (I brewed a normal batch of coffee but only used 4/5 cups worth of water opposed to 12. For some reason it just helps...)
4.66 oz Priming sugar
.5 gal of Water (we tried it on the small scale and it helped cut though the thick stout due to the angel's share loss... I ended up with a 4.5 gal batch and I wanted it a full 5 gal since it was to be shared)

The base beer's abv is about 7% and with the Jameson it is potent. Like I said I would probably cut back on the Jameson but only a little.

Please any questions because I dont feel that I said everything I need to but Ive only been brewing for 11 months and haven't quite have my documentation stuff down yet.

chappyman7 said:
WOW I am so glad I stumbled on this thread! Probably going to brew up FermFreak's recipe this weekend while I wait for Zak to finish his vanilla bean version. Ferm, did you notice a big difference as the bottles aged, or is it just three weeks in bottles then bottoms up? Any idea what the ABV is?

I started drinking at the 3 week mark (and they were GREAT then) but I have noticed that the longer you let them sit, the better they taste. I have no idea about the ABV but it only took one 22oz bottle to feel a really great buzz!! :)

Any other updates? I have been watching this thread and it kind of died out. An am anxious to hear about some of the results others have had.

Mine is fermenting away right now, pretty stoked for this one, so are all of the test dummies...i mean friends.

Starting out as a left hand milk stout clone which already taste amazing after 5 days, its only gotten down to 1.03 so far, OG was 1.061 and airlock activity has been very minimal the last 2 days. Going to add .5lb of lactose, 8oz jameson and a couple vanilla beans in the secondary and then see how it tastes after a few days like that. then I will add whatever i think is missing at kegging time.

I have a question. Ive never really used lactose before. Is there any difference between using it in the last ten mins of boil or putting it in the secondary?
what does each one do for the beer as far as flavor and mouthfeel?

adding it towards the end of the boil helps to get it disolved and incorporated more into the beer. If you wait until the secondary you need to disolve it in some boiling water first or it will just settle down to the bottom of your fermenter. I usually do both. I add what I think I need for flavor during the boil and then taste it when fermentation is done to see if it needs more or not.

I have done this recipe twice now (tweaked a bit) and it is amazing.

Well I did a similar recipe about 4 weeks ago... been in the bottle for 1 week... Am going to break down and try it tonight....

so i did a muntons extract kit irish stout and i soaked a vinalla pod in a .7 liter jamsons whiskey for 2 weeks and added this to a seccondry and left it for a couple of months. after tasting two of them i can say its not enough whiskey and not enough vinalla. if you dont know the whiskey is there you will not pick up on it and the vinalla is just not there. i reccomend both of each. hope this helps someone

I have somewhat of a newbie question. I've 5 batches under my belt. Doing some partials, but sticking to clear cut recipes, so I always add the standard amount of priming sugar when I bottle. How do I know, with a recipe like the one by OP, how much priming sugar to add to try and avoid any bottle bombs?
Adam :)

Back