Iridescent wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksmith1

Captain Cheap
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I would love to paint my motorcycle this color.
However as it is my wine, I am a bit concerned.
IMG_20190928_095816.jpg
That galaxy of stars looking thing is not on the surface. It is layered into this brew.
The wine was started on Aug 11 2019 using Northland blueberry, blackberry, acai. This is just juice with nothing added by them.

My brewlog for this one:
71-B
7/10/19 1 gallon Northland blueberry, blackberry, acai.
1/2tsp pectic enzyme
1tsp super ferment
2 1/3 +/- cups sugar
71-B pitched 7/11/19
OG 1.100
7/13/19 slow steady colony build. CO2 but not a lot of activity.
7/14/19 serious activity
8/2/19 settled clearing. Racked & topped with juice/starter.
9/6/19 racked w/campden.

Any ideas? The couple drops I tasted (I'm not that brave with possible infection) seemed ok. A tiny bit sweeter than I expected, haven't taken an sg.
This after it stopped spinning. Kinda hard to get a good pic.
IMG_20190928_101320.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure, but I think I remember açaí juice having some iridescence to it. Does kind of look metallic gel paint or nail polish. That looks very cool, it will prob settle out eventually. Hope someone else can be more helpful.

When I was researching some of the better commercial Müller Thurgau wines, some of them mentioned a yellow colour with a green shimmer. Wonder if this is something one can intentionally do if one knew what did it.

How is the color holding up? I'm going to be bottling some cranberry mead this weekend, then I'll have a free fermenter to try this out.

Not sure. I have one bottle left of the gallon. I'm debating wether to open it now or wait. in the glass the effect was not as spectacular.

Ok broke down and opened this for Thanksgiving.
It's a little darker to the eye then the camera. No iridescence left. At least not that I can see.IMG_20191128_165625.jpg

Inquiring minds want to know! I’ve thought about doing a batch of açaí wine/mead, just no info about what it would taste like lol.

Like blueberries, blackberries and acai. The acai was a very strong finish on this. It was bottled semi dry and the wife and I both really like this one. It's a tad sharp, but with a bit more sweetness it could be a nice table wine. With alot more it would make a killer dessert wine.
In all seriousness, this one tastes very much like the original Northland blueberry, blackberry, acai juice. Very heavy flavor, much like a full bodied commercial red. Bold, hearty, delicious (assuming you like the juice).

I made a batch of this, I'm waiting for it to settle out, but I just pulled off some to taste test. Once I'd added a little honey, my wife really loved it. I like it, too. Sure made the closet smell good while fermenting! (Honestly, it even makes my burps smell good, that's some serious aroma.)

Never saw any iridescence, though. Must have vanished by the time I opened the lid, if it ever happened.

Back