Iraq dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulax25

Reaction score
Ok so here's my problem:

In 6 weeks I am scheduled to leave for 18 months to Iraq. I currently have a batch of psuedo-lambic that I have been conditioning/fermenting for about 2 months. I wanted to have it condition for 3 months, but I am nervous about a possible 21 months!!

I used Dried and Liquid Wheat Extract, and a light hop bill. Since I am doing an apple lambic, I used 4 gallons of water and 1 gallon of pure Apple Juice. For primary fermentation, I used standard muntons yeast, and after 5 days transferred the beer and most of the trub to secondary with 5.5 lbs of granny smith apples. I then added the Wyeast Lambic Yeast Blend.

So, will this be ok conditioning for almost 2 years? I've read that longer is better for the lambic yeasts, so I am hopeful . . . I dont want to bottle now and pound 5 gallons the week before I deploy!!

Thanks for your help -

Maybe Janx will chime in here (though I haven't heard from him in months?). Anyways, I have no experience whatsoever with the style, but I would think that it would be okay in the secondary for this period. Some lambics are aged several years. My understanding is that you actually want a moldy pellicle (sp?) to form on the top.

If you have a good cool place to put it (like a basement), I'd recommend getting a cornie and just kegging it.

The US military should set up breweries wherever they go. I found where the British had brew ships during WWII. Hope your brew benefits from the extended aging, and a safe return to enjoy it.

where are you at near Philly? I am in South Jersey and if your not too far and you need it kegged or bottled while your gone, I would not mind helping out a soldier that is overseas.

You know, 6 weeks is enough time to get a mead fermented and ready to either rack to a secondary, keg, or bottle. Then in 18 months you'll have meady goodness.

By the way, best wishes to you in your trip to Iraq, and THANK YOU.

I think I would keg it as well, but I cant say I've ever had a beer condition that long.

Good Luck, and thank you for serving our country!!

As a OIF Veteran, I would personally like to thank you for your service to our country. It will be a long hard year and the most challenging of your life but when it is all said and done you will look back and realize that it was the most rewarding. You will have changed the word.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Tom Dean

I am sure my sentiments are shared by the other members of this board. What say all?

Pound the 5 gallons before you go, maybe saving just enough to split your skull when you get back. You'll have many things to look forward to on your return. Let the rest of that batch, and the many more to come be one of those things.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you do. I can't speak for the Country, but the Brewers are with you. Be safe.:mug:

Latest posts

Back