Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm a new home brewer ( Canadian btw) and I recently brewed up my very first batch of anything, ever. It was a Brewer's Best IPA, I'm very fond of a commercial brew called Alexander Keith's which is brewed in Newfoundland, but I'm not too sure how widespread their market is.
And so...... I just went to my local liquor mart and obtained 10 different international, microbrewed IPA's just to get a feel for what my finished product should supposedly taste like. But, the problem is, after about 4 of 'em they all sorta taste the same because you start to get drunk. .....
Just an observation. ....

Yeah... IPAs are pretty one dimensional.

Seems like all they care about is the hops and getting you drunk. And the malt.

So... 3d.

:fro:

What is your favourite commercial brew? I'm so goddamn fed up with big box brewery bull****! All the ales taste the same, and all the lagers taste the same. As mentioned, I'm Canadian, so I get Labbat, Molson, Miller and Seagram's for the big one's... and they produce nothing but, as you put it, uni-dimensional & uni-directional crap.

We're all censored mang. Small price to pay for the greatest forum ever.

Favorite commercial beer? Busch Light hands down.

Close seconds would be Ivan the Terrible, Stone Enjoy By, Odell Runoff Red, Odell Mountain Standard and Tall Grass Vanilla Bean Oatmeal Stout.

Find a decent bar with a wide range of taps/styles, go back a lot and sample them a few at a time. Ask for a sample before a full pour. Any self-respecting bar will do that for you.

I'm kegging tomorrow a clone of Russian River Row2 Hill 56, normal ale/ipa grain bill, but the hop bill is 100% Simcoe. Sampled my hydro jar pull and it was amazing. Simcoe hops are the new cascade :), still a hoppy brew but distinct.
Also, if you can try it, check out Cigar City's Jai Alai, it's an IPA but very flavorful with a great malt flavor.

I agree with the post above, find a tap room and sample, hard work but someone has to do it.

Well Gents, seems you've never been to Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada!! Very much an isolated blue-collar town.....what is this sampling without paying for it that you speak of?!

Favorite commercial beer? Busch Light hands down.

Close seconds would be Ivan the Terrible, Stone Enjoy By, Odell Runoff Red, Odell Mountain Standard and Tall Grass Vanilla Bean Oatmeal Stout.

+1 on that BL. Tall Grass Vanilla Bean Oatmeal Stout is a good substitute if that's all you have.

Huh. Unless it's a different one... I just googled Thunder Bay Craft Brew Pubs and there like 4 at least in Ontario.

We used to have like 3 craft brewers in town, but they've all shut down cuz ppl here can't live without Labbat Crystal. There is one brewer here whose Pale Ale we serve at my workplace, smells like it's probably pretty good, but I don't drink while working and refuse to spend any more time there than I have to. Unfortunately they only keg it, and I as yet have not found it in the local pubs.....
Curiously, there is another thunder bay, but in Michigan. .
And I am about 8hrs drive from Winnipeg, and 20hrs drive from Toronto, those are my best bets for finding delicious Canadian microbrews that are widely available..... the lcbo's in my town have pretty slim pickings in that regard!

And I am about 8hrs drive from Winnipeg, and 20hrs drive from Toronto, those are my best bets for finding delicious Canadian microbrews that are widely available..... the lcbo's in my town have pretty slim pickings in that regard!
It's only 27 hours to Kamloops or Kelowna.

Hell, I don't even get up there that often, but there are some great breweries in that area.

I'm assuming that means you are in the US.... Washington State or Idaho? I've explored both (and they're amazing, we totally have mountain fever!!).... Montana is nice too, but a little dry.....

Latest posts

Back