IPA with Simcoe/Amarillo - Suggestions? Add Centennial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rkb1983

Reaction score
So I'm planning on making and IPA with a hop schedule that I found on this forum from someone else. It goes as follows:

This is for a 2.5 gallon batch.

.5 lbs Caramel 40 steeped

4 lbs extra light DME

0.5 oz simcoe Pellet 12.3 Boil 60 min 41.31
0.25 oz amarillo Pellet 7.7 Boil 30 min 9.94
0.25 oz simcoe Pellet 12.3 Boil 15 min 10.25
0.25 oz amarillo Pellet 7.7 Aroma 5 min 2.58
0.25 oz simcoe Pellet 12.3 Aroma 5 min 4.12
0.25 oz amarillo Pellet 7.7 Aroma 0 min
0.25 oz simcoe Pellet 12.3 Aroma 0 min

US05

I was planning on using the remaining .75 oz simcoe and .25 ounce amarillo to dry hop, but I also have an ounce of centennial. Does anyone have any recommendations on what they might change? I don't need to use the centennial, it's just an option.

Thanks!

Sorry, I could've sworn I posted this in the extract forum. If anyone can move it that would be appreciated...

Try doing 1/2 oz at flameout and 1/2 dry hop of crystal hops. One of my favorite hoppy red ales (Marble Red) uses this sort of combo and it's delicious.

You can't go wrong with Amarillo / Simcoe (two of my favorite IPA hops), but some Centennial dry hops won't hurt anything.

I grow Centennials, they're very nice, but in my view more of a complementary hop than a primary one.

Back